What's new

accidently deleted "Host"file in ifile

rubixs

Reaction score
hi there new to the forum,ever since i jb my iphone 5 last week when the jb was releasted for ios 6.
i installed vshare but every time i tried downloading it would'nt start any downloads,so i googled for a fix & read to go to Host file in ifile & to delete a certain line.
being a bit of a noob i've mistakenly deleted the Host file all together,i've tried uninstalling & reinstalling ifile its self but each time i go back in to /etc the Host file is not there.
there is a file named host.equiv but theres nothing inside that file.

by the way vshare still wont let me download anything.

please help as its doing my nut in,i'm thinking of restoring phone back to factory setting & re jailbreak it but hopefully if some 1 comes up with a solution to my problem i wont have to do that.

Last edited:
The host file on the device itself is mainly for ad blocking. There's no other functionality for it.

so does'nt it matter that i aint got an host file ?

The host file isn't considered a core or system file TBH. It's just there to be there. Much like the computer's version of a host file, it's there for its own little purpose. You can delete your host file on your computer as well, but AFAIK, it basically comes back from the dead on its own.