What's new

Problem involving broken power button and error 21

cdr322

Reaction score
Need some help getting my itouch 4g back to normal.
I tried to jailbreak my device today with a broken power button.
So I did the whole pwned dfu mode with redsnow and successfully downloaded the jailbreak (i think)
However, I did not know you had to go into dfu mode to boot the device each time so i cannot boot the device.
So now knowing I can not jailbreak my device I just want to get my device back to normal.
However, with the jailbreak device activated and not booted, every time i go to restore my device it gives me the error 21 message.
I've tried moving the host file and I have tried to download tinyumbrella but it doesnt work for me on Windows 7.

I have know idea what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...s-68/dfu-mode-broken-home-power-button-57334/

iOS 6.1.3 is a tethered only jailbreak for the iPod Touch 4th Gen, so as long as you turn off or reboot your device, you will be asked to boot tethered first. When prompted for DFU mode, you have to create and use the DFU mode IPSW in the guide above with iTunes, then continue the procedure in RedSn0w or the like.

Error 21 is usually the message you get for attempting to restore to a custom IPSW while in normal or recovery mode.

It does say i am in recovery mode. How do I get out of recovery mode if i can not restore my ipod?

Also, are you saying there is a way to complete the tethered jailbreak process without a power button? I have already downloaded the jailbreak I just cannot boot it up considering no power button.

When you restart/reboot a device you have to boot tethered using the Just Boot feature in RedSn0w. It'll ask you to put your device into DFU mode. Follow the guide I linked to make a DFU IPSW and use it with iTunes to put the device in DFU mode. Then go back to RedSn0w and Just Boot.

Downloaded RecBoot and it took me out of recovery mode and i was then able to restore my device.

I may be wrong but i am pretty sure you can not do a tethered jailbreak with a broken button. I understand how to enter dfu mode but once i do and download the jailbreak, to boot the device you have to put it back into dfu mode. And i think once you download the dfu ipsw again it deletes the jailbreak.

Thanks for the help though.

Jailbreaking a device requires DFU mode only. If you can put your device into DFU mode, utilities can care less how you got to DFU mode. Clearly you haven't read what the DFU IPSW does and how it does not upgrade your iOS and remove the jailbreak on your device.

Ok, so i put it in dfu mode again after downloading the jailbreak and then i clicked just boot. It completed and it said done and that the rest would be done on the device. A pineapple showed up on the screen and then turned black and nows it just stuck black again. Itunes still says its in recovery mode and redsnow says its still in dfu mode. Is there still something i need to do?

Thanks for helping me through this.