What's new

Accessing iMessages and emails on second phone

Llywelyncrhys

Reaction score
My personal phone isn't an iPhone, so I'm afraid I'm not greatly familiar with them.
1. Is it possible to access iMessage and emails from my work phone on a cheaper, older iPhone? If so, how? I'm vaguely aware iCloud might be able to do it. I don't need calls.
2. How old an iPhone will be able to do this? The older the model, the less I have to pay. I really only want to be able to check if there is anything really important.
3. If this phone has wifi access do I need network? (Better if not, because more cost if i do.) If I need network, can I use a different SIM card and does that change how it should be set up?

As ancient wise men would advise, I don't want to take my work phone on canoe trip, or the sim card. There is wifi where I will be staying. I just want to buy the cheapest phone I can to check my emails/ messages. I don't really want to autoforward, but if that's the only option...

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

To access emails and iMessages on an iPhone, you just need to set up the iCloud account and make sure it’s also checkmarked in Settings - Messages - Send & Receive.
On your work phone, go to Settings - Messages - Text Message Forwarding and enable this feature for the cheaper iPhone.

If you can access Wi-Fi, you don’t need a SIM card to get emails and text messages on your trip.

My son has an iPhone 6s as his main device, and it’s still working - not without problems, though. I suppose it should also be possible to use these features on an iPhone 4s, but I wouldn’t go back any further.

Hope that helps.