What's new

How can you add phone number to iMessage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
How can a (new) phone number be added to your iMessages? I had another SIM card in this phone a while ago, and with the current one, I only have a me.com email address linked to iMessages (I cancelled the setup wizard when the new SIM was inserted). Is there a way to activate/change the number later on?

Settings, messages, add/remove numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have this setting. Even if I try the sub-menu Send&Receive, it only has "Add Another Email...".

How can a (new) phone number be added to your iMessages? I had another SIM card in this phone a while ago, and with the current one, I only have a me.com email address linked to iMessages (I cancelled the setup wizard when the new SIM was inserted). Is there a way to activate/change the number later on?
are you talking about adding your own numbers in Send and Receive or adding other peoples number so you can imessage them?

so don't you have an option under Add another email that says....start new conversations from:

one thing you could try is go into Contacts and add your own number in there.

so don't you have an option under Add another email that says....start new conversations from:

Nope. If I go to Send & Receive, I have:

-Apple ID: ...
-You can be reached by iMessage at:
--***@me.com (checked)
--my appleid email (unchecked)
--Add Another Email...

If I tap the latter, all I get is a field & cursor where I can enter another email.

Maybe that's a "feature", i.e. that it's impossible to activate your phone number for iMessage and Facetime at a later time in case you didn't approve it when you inserted the SIM (the dialog box which notifies that the carrier charges may apply when activating your number, or something similar).
I can live without it for now, but you never know.

you could try a hard reset,hold down your on/off and home button until the apple appears the let go,i don't think it will work but its worth a try if you haven't tried it already.

i had a similar problem where my phone wouldnt display the Send and Receive so in the end i did a restore....have you tried Reset all Settings?

The hard reset won't change it -- I already had two of these as the custom ringtones weren't picked up. As for the Reset All Settings... I'll wait until the next iOS release (plus hopefully JB, I really miss all those toggles). Should be anytime now, I hope.

you can do a reset all settings,it wont change anything drastically,it just means you will have to set things like ringtones and wallpapers again,it isn't like a full restore,no data or media will lost.

What exactly do you have to set again? Does the icon order stay?

What exactly do you have to set again? Does the icon order stay?
go to Settings-General-scroll down to Reset-Rreset all Settings.....wasn't quite sure what you meant by the icon order.....i found i just had to put my preferred wallpaper back on and my ringtones....let us know if it helped.

The arrangement of icon apps on home-screens... it can be quite a nuissance if you have to rearrange them back (currently I have too many).

Status
Not open for further replies.