What's new

I'm visiting the UK, and don't have phone service - help!

R92024

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm visiting the UK, and don't have phone service - help!

My US carrier is Twigby, which doesn't work outside the US.

I just need to be able to access and make phone calls and texts while I'm temporarily in the UK.

I just tried switching to a new 'pay as you go' SIM card, but that gives me a new phone number, which is not what I want.

My iphone 7 Plus is unlocked, and I do have access to wifi (so I can send and receive emails).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Since your carrier doesn’t offer international roaming you’re not going to be able to use your regular number while in the UK. The easiest thing would be to get a local SIM card as advised and tell anybody that wants to call you what your temporary number is.

Assuming you arrive via Heathrow, you can usually buy SIMs in the arrival halls. In Terminal 3 there is a vending machine with them. I have no idea which companies offer the SIMs or what their charges are. Hopefully you can use wifi as much as possible.

A local SIM is best otherwise any calls you make would be via your home company, which would be expensive.

I hope this is useful and you enjoy your visit

Many thanks for the replies!
Twigby, the carrier, tel me they're introducing an international plan next month, November.
In the meantime, they gave me instructions so I could access my voice messages, so that helps.