What's new

Taking Japan bought i phone7 to UK advice needed

Zenox

Reaction score
Several years ago I bought an i phone 7 in Japan from DOCOMO and this December I want to use it in the UK.
I need to know how to do that,I am not so savvy about the tech world but I have heard that I need to change the SIM card to use in the UK.
I was told by DOCOMO that after a period of time,several months I think, I would be free to do that.So now surely ok.
Docomo gave me the pin type tool to eject my present SIM card when I bought it and I have it now..
' Can I do that myself and can I change SIM card before I leave Japan?Will my i phone 7 be compatable with UK networks?
'Portable WiFi' has also been suggested.(?) I will stay one month in the UK. Advise please,thanks.

Several years ago I bought an i phone 7 in Japan from DOCOMO and this December I want to use it in the UK.
I need to know how to do that,I am not so savvy about the tech world but I have heard that I need to change the SIM card to use in the UK.
I was told by DOCOMO that after a period of time,several months I think, I would be free to do that.So now surely ok.
Docomo gave me the pin type tool to eject my present SIM card when I bought it and I have it now..
' Can I do that myself and can I change SIM card before I leave Japan?Will my i phone 7 be compatable with UK networks?
'Portable WiFi' has also been suggested.(?) I will stay one month in the UK. Advise please,thanks.
Firstly, it is simple to change the SIM card. Use the pin device to press down in the little hole you will see on the right side of your iPhone. This will release the tray holding the card. Tourist SIM cards are available in the UK and the simplest way to get one would be to visit one of the many call provider stores you will find on the high street.

Firstly, it is simple to change the SIM card. Use the pin device to press down in the little hole you will see on the right side of your iPhone. This will release the tray holding the card. Tourist SIM cards are available in the UK and the simplest way to get one would be to visit one of the many call provider stores you will find on the high street.
Thanks,we hope to contact our son in london soon after arrival at Heathrow by mobile so hope we can get the SIM card in the airport.OR perhaps even get a UK compatible card before we leave Japan.

There are, or were last time I was at Heathrow, vending machines with sim cards in the terminals.

There are, or were last time I was at Heathrow, vending machines with sim cards in the terminals.
Thanks for info,I will visit DOCOMO office tomorrow and see what they advise.

Just to add to my comment above. One of the companies offering SIMs in the vending machines at Heathrow was Lebara. I have no idea what they are like, neither do I know how they compare but it may be of interest to look them up. Lebara link

I hope that your visit to the UK goes well.

Just to add to my comment above. One of the companies offering SIMs in the vending machines at Heathrow was Lebara. I have no idea what they are like, neither do I know how they compare but it may be of interest to look them up. Lebara link

I hope that your visit to the UK goes well.
Thanks.DOCOMO told me today that my i phone 7 is now allowed to exchange my Japanese sim card for a UK card so I will buy one from Amazon jp.