What's new

A5

fletch92

Reaction score
Hi, I am not much of a techy with iPhones but I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Saw a video about jailbreak the other day and said it was for a4 devices not a5.
What are a4 and a5??

fletch92 said:
Hi, I am not much of a techy with iPhones but I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Saw a video about jailbreak the other day and said it was for a4 devices not a5.
What are a4 and a5??

A4 and A5 refers to the chip used in the device.

A4 chip is in iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G.

A5 chip is in iPhone 4S and iPad 2/3.
Regardless...you must have read an outdated post.

There IS a jailbreak for ALL devices rite now on the latest iOS 5.1.1. There is not a jailbreak for 5.1.

If you want to jailbreak then you need to update to 5.1.1.

If you have an iPhone 4S then I recommend you use Absinthe from here: greenpois0n.com/

If you have an iPhone 4 or lower model then redsn0w is the best. Get it from here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Be sure to use the DFU option. It is better. If you have an iPhone 4S then you have no choice but to use the backup/restore method...and you need to restore your device and SETUP AS NEW before jailbreaking.

A4 rules!! I have my iTouch and its awesome to be anle to always have a jailbreak. But i have my iPhone 4s=userland only right now :/

I will most probably jailbreak lol I have a 4s.
Thanks for your help

What are a4 and a5??
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.

fletch92 said:
I will most probably jailbreak lol I have a 4s.
Thanks for your help

You can use Absinthe or redsn0w.

It is advised that you restore and setup as new before jailbreaking.

You can restore the backup after the jailbreak process is completed. (tho its always best to start from scratch on my honest opinion).

Regardless...you will definitely have to restore and setup as new before the jailbreak. Make sure you backup device to iTunes before restoring should you decide you want to restore from a backup after the jailbreak.