What's new

A5 Boot-rom Exploit Discussion

dan448899

Reaction score
Anybody know if any progress has been made or is being made on finding a boot-rom exploit in the A5 processor? The A6 seems like it's on its way, and it's a little disheartening to know that A5 still has yet to be cracked.

Just to clarify, I am not referring to jailbreaking phones that run on A5 processors, as I am aware this has been done with JailbreakMe and Absinthe. I am referring to a low-level vulnerability that would make the device jailbreakable for life.

I am not referring to jailbreaking phones that run on A5 processors, as I am aware this has been done with JailbreakMe and Absinthe. I am referring to a low-level vulnerability that would make the device jailbreakable for life.
While I'm not certain as to what progress the Devs have made on an A5 Bootrom exploit... just wanted to point out that the only available Jailbreak tool for the A5 iDevices is Absinthe. The JailbreakMe.com exploit was a PDF exploit that worked through the Mobile Safari web browser and only supports up to iOS 4.3.3 on A4 and earlier iDevices.

JailbreakMe (the most recent version) was also used on the A5 iPad 2 on iOS 4.3.3.

JailbreakMe (the most recent version) was also used on the A5 iPad 2 on iOS 4.3.3.

The exploit used in JailbreakMe has nothing to do with the bootrom. As Thomasjtsi mentioned, it was a PDF exploit located within the 4.3.3 firmware itself that allowed for the exploit to be executed.

And no, there has been no news of a bootrom exploit for A5 devices.

I was correcting Thomasjtsi when he said that Absinthe was the only jailbreak for A5 devices.

This is why i don't have a 4S. I saved up money, but no bootrom exploit, so I'm not getting it til there is one. Or perhaps I'll buy it soon, so I at least get one that has 5.0.1 or 5.0.lol

if you plan to buy it new from either the service provider or apple. they will update it to 5.1...if you are buying used more sell it jailbroken already so youll be good

I noticed if you buy rite from your carriers stores, it can often come with a jailbreakable iOS. Just sayin....it is more likely to have the latest iOS if you buy from an Apple store.

I noticed if you buy rite from your carriers stores, it can often come with a jailbreakable iOS. Just sayin....it is more likely to have the latest iOS if you buy from an Apple store.

If you buy from a carrier, it will come with whatever software Apple sent it with. They don't open up the boxes and update iPhones. My iPhone 4 came with 4.3.5 weeks after iOS 5 was released.

DpkgDan said:
If you buy from a carrier, it will come with whatever software Apple sent it with. They don't open up the boxes and update iPhones. My iPhone 4 came with 4.3.5 weeks after iOS 5 was released.

Yes....that is what i just said.