What's new

A newbie with quite a few Q's

Mud

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a pretty confused noob at this point. Doesn't help that I just crawled out from under a rock in the cellular dark ages for quite some time. Jumped on the Apple bandwagon knowing very, very little and am not tech savvy at all. I have been stuffing my head with so much info lately, that my head is spinning. There is so much out there to learn.

I had to update my IP3Gs 32gb running 5.0 to 5.0.1 (BB 05.16.05 before & after update and after jb).
Was pretty leery of trying this myself (especially since I am new to smartphones, new to Apple products as well and not really on the techy side). But instructions seemed simple enough, so I took the plunge last night. Used resn0w 0.9.10b1
I am happy to say it seems successful.
Installed winterboard and have made my first bit of customizations. But before I delve into it further...

I have a few questions-

- I updated from 5.0 to 5.0.1 but still had apps (mainly games,some downloaders, keyboard things, etc.- stuff the PO had on it) on the phone after the update. I am afraid I might have lost some space (created wasted space due to not doing a full restore). Though the math is correct - 28.3gb technically available, 6.3gb used, 22gb available. I still have the games on the phone even after the jailbreak. Is this ok? Or did I fudge up somewhere?

- Now that I am jailbroke, do I not ever hook my phone back up to iTunes?

- I have some custom made ringtones on my iTunes, can I download them onto my phone after jailbreaking?

- And are they any "must haves" apps out there?

- And of course, any other advice is greatly appreciated. Any do's or don't s?

But have ran across something I should maybe mention. Before updating to 5.0.1 battery life was horrible (had heard there was a battery draining bug in there), updated to 5.0.1 battery life is better but still not like my IP3gs 16gb is. Is it possibly time for a new battery? I am going to let it die, so it will recalibrate and see how it does then.

- Are all free apps through cydia and its repo's cracked? How do you know which ones are and which ones aren't? The sites I have been looking at (for repo's) said they don't support pirated sources and another says it's for apps that Apple has declined and offers free hosting. Like I said I am new to all of this.
- How can one tell if something has been pirated, especially since Apple's app store also offers free games?
- I have heard that some things could mess up your iphone... Is there a way to tell before downloading? Or something/anything I should know?

Just a confused newb trying to figure all this out. Don't want/mean to step on any toes or break any rules.

Thanks in advance.

- its ok I think to have the games and apps on before the jailbreak. If you already had a jailbreak on the 5.0 then you would have had to do a restore. But it seems to be working fine so it's not to be worried about.

- it's fine to hook your phone up to iTunes and sync, just don't update and restore. But syncing is fine.

- Not sure about the custom ringtones, if all you have to do is sync with iTunes it's ok to do so.

- I have never added sources that are cracked. When you add a new source to Cydia if it's cracked you will get a message that says something like this "this is an illegal source. We can not stop you from using it, download anyway?"

- Here's some apps and tweaks I like.

5. Sbsettings
4. Winterboard
3. Barrel
2. Infinifolders
1. Five icon dock

When I first jail broke my device I looked up on YouTube "top Cydia apps" "top Cydia tweaks" "top Cydia themes" ect. YouTube helped me a lot.

The battery was horrid when the 32gb was running 5.0 (heard about the battery draining bug), updated to 5.0.1 was a little better. I had heard about letting the phone die to recalibrate the battery. So I decided to let it die and maybe see if the battery recalibrate itself. Well a green screen popped up. Wouldn't go away. Plugged it into the wall, nothing. Plugged it into my computer and it rebooted, everything seems fine now.
But was wondering what is causing this?
And is it going to do this everytime? (even though I do not plan to let it go dead if I can help it)

I did my jailbreak the other day, no problems like this.
But did add winterboard today and 1 theme... could this be my problem?
Is this normal? What should I do?

Last edited:
Seen they released 0.9.10b2 & 0.9.10b3 just recently. What exactly did b2 & b3 fix? I haven't noticed anything unusual other than the green screen issue I had yesterday. But since I am really new to the iPhone, maybe it's something I have overlooked and considered normal.
Also, still don't know what caused the green screen yesterday, any idea's?

oh, and something else I have been meaning to ask.
I have my iTunes set up with my non-jailbroke IP3gs 16gb - has all its ringtones, music, ringtones, pics, apps, etc. on iTunes.
When I plug in my jailbroke IP3gs 32gb it pops up with the 16gb info on iTunes.
I would love to have my music, ringtones, pics, apps, etc from the 16gb on my 32gb.
How can I do that?
iTunes recognizes that it is a different iPhone, both iPhones have different names. And the left column shows the correct name for whichever phone is plugged in at the moment.

This is what it says when I try to sync my ringtones (from the 16gb's library) to the 32gb:
when I click on my ringtones I get a pop-up saying:
"the iPhone "Mud" is synced to another iTunes library.
Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?
An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time.
Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes
library.

Figured out how to get my ringtones and music from itunes.
Figured out how to save blobs. Looks like I have:
4.1 (8B117)
4.3.5 (8L1)
5.0.1 (9A405)
5.1b1 (9B5117b)

Running 5.0.1 3gs untethered JB using redsn0w 09.10b1 on BB 05.16.05

My latest problem documented here:
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/help-green-yellowish-screen-30263/
I could really REALLY use some input on this.

Seen they released 0.9.10b2 & 0.9.10b3 since my JB. What exactly did b2 & b3 fix?
And is there any newer versions? (b4, b5, etc.)

I am needing some help or advice pretty fast as I am not sure if I need to do a factory restore to fix my "sick" screen and re-JB.

b3 is the newest version. b2 fixed issues with launchctl and mobilesubstrate and b3 fixed issues that b2 caused when upgrading from b1.

Mud said:
Figured out how to get my ringtones and music from itunes.
Figured out how to save blobs. Looks like I have:
4.1 (8B117)
4.3.5 (8L1)
5.0.1 (9A405)
5.1b1 (9B5117b)

Running 5.0.1 3gs untethered JB using redsn0w 09.10b1 on BB 05.16.05

My latest problem documented here:
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/help-green-yellowish-screen-30263/
I could really REALLY use some input on this.

Seen they released 0.9.10b2 & 0.9.10b3 since my JB. What exactly did b2 & b3 fix?
And is there any newer versions? (b4, b5, etc.)

I am needing some help or advice pretty fast as I am not sure if I need to do a factory restore to fix my "sick" screen and re-JB.

Maybe try asking one question at a time.lol.

But hey I been there.

Always run the latest refdn0w over your jailbreak and uncheck install Cydia.

The 2 most amazing jailbreak tweaks I can refer to you is KuaiDial and biteSMS

you can get KuaiDial by adding this repo:

kuaidial.googlecode.com/svn/deb/

(KuiaDial rep is not a cracked repo. It only contains 2 packages that the developer put there)

Restored and rejailbroke it last night (used b3) and have been waiting for it to die. Just checked it and it was at 2x% battery life, when it went to a black screen then the apple screen then back black ... then the "sick" screen again. Ugh!
I have no clue at this point.

Mud said:
Restored and rejailbroke it last night (used b3) and have been waiting for it to die. Just checked it and it was at 2x% battery life, when it went to a black screen then the apple screen then back black ... then the "sick" screen again. Ugh!
I have no clue at this point.

I kind of have no idea what your talking about. Why would you let it die.
Never let your battery drain til it's completely dead. That is bad for it.

You want to drain to like 13-15% then charge it.

If that's even what your talking about.

I have found more info out about this. The "sick" screen is also known as YSoD (yellow screen of death) though it really isn't a bad thing (not like the blue screen for Windows). It apparently just does it when the battery gets under 10% and your phone is jailbroke. Seems to be more common in 3gs phones. The first time I let the battery drain I was actually doing the battery recalibration on it (which I had read should be done once a month) and that's how I first ran across my sick screen. My battery is horrible in this phone anyways and tends to drain itself rather quickly, so most of the times I seen my sick screen it was sheerly by accident. This last time the phone actually had over 20% battery life left when it went to the sick screen.
But seems like if you get the sick screen the thing to do is plug it up to usb and leave it and about 15 minutes it will reboot and be fine.

I would like to ask a quick question. My phone is jailbroken and itunes says there is an itunes update ready for me. Does updating itunes affect my jailbreak? I am thinking "no" it wouldn't affect my jailbreak but I am really not sure.

MikeElectric said:
I would like to ask a quick question. My phone is jailbroken and itunes says there is an itunes update ready for me. Does updating itunes affect my jailbreak? I am thinking "no" it wouldn't affect my jailbreak but I am really not sure.

Updating will un-Jailbreak your iDevice and you'll need to perform another JB once the update is complete.

Updating the iOS using iTunes will allow iTunes to wipe your iPhone memory to scratch and load in new iOS. You can JB again after updating the iOS.

No. It will not effect your jailbreak in any way shape or form. Only updating the iOS on your iPhone directly will unjailbreak Your device. iTunes has no effect on the jailbreak. Don't worry.

Feel free to update to iTunes 10.5.3;)