What's new

A few questions: from android to iPhone

Ronpfid

Reaction score
Hey folks got a couple questions.
Been using an android phone for a few years, but recently got an ipad2. I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 5c for 99 with Verizon (it would be cool to sync em both with iCloud) but wanted to verify a few things.
1- does google map navigation actually speak turn by turn directions on an iPhone?
2- iOS really has no widgets right? So bye to my big home screen clock and weather widget?
3- my ipad doesn't seem to pop up a notification when I get an email but my droid phone flashes a light and shows an email preview in the status bar on the lock screen, what about an iPhone?
4- any other reasons you guys prefer iPhone over droid?

Thanks, cheers!
Ron

1- does google map navigation actually speak turn by turn directions on an iPhone?

>> yes

2- iOS really has no widgets right? So bye to my big home screen clock and weather widget?

>> right no widgets, but you can leave the app running and double click home button quickly access it

3- my ipad doesn't seem to pop up a notification when I get an email but my droid phone flashes a light and shows an email preview in the status bar on the lock screen, what about an iPhone?

>> checked my ipad 3 and no notification icon for mail it does show up in iphone

4- any other reasons you guys prefer iPhone over droid?

>> far better selection of apps and all iphone apps will run on ipads

Hey folks got a couple questions. Been using an android phone for a few years, but recently got an ipad2. I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 5c for 99 with Verizon (it would be cool to sync em both with iCloud) but wanted to verify a few things. 1- does google map navigation actually speak turn by turn directions on an iPhone? 2- iOS really has no widgets right? So bye to my big home screen clock and weather widget? 3- my ipad doesn't seem to pop up a notification when I get an email but my droid phone flashes a light and shows an email preview in the status bar on the lock screen, what about an iPhone? 4- any other reasons you guys prefer iPhone over droid? Thanks, cheers! Ron
You can set email notifications on iPhone to do several things. Even ring when your phone is open.

1.yes
2.IOS has no,but you can Install.
3.Yes,Iphone can do it.
4.Just love it.

1) The stock iOS 7 maps as well as the Google Maps app (free) from the AppStore both offer turn-by-turn voice navigation

2) On the stock iOS, no, but, in Notifications Center, you can view the weather/calendar, etc, but not as large as you'd expect on an Android. On a jailbroken device, you can install a widget for anything, just as you're able to for Android.

3) You should be able to get notifications for emails without an issue. Open up Settings.app > Notification Center > Mail > [If you have multiple email accounts, choose the one that you want to receive notifications for, if not, disregard this] > Select Banner for a small "dropdown" on the top of your statusBar, or, select Alert if you want something a little more obtrusive.

At the bottom, you may also choose to show it in Notification Center's dropdown menu (which you can access by sliding down from the top of your screen), set alerts, etc etc, all of which you can tinker around to see which best fits your usage.

4) Always been an Apple fanatic. The stock iOS itself is slightly underwhelming, but when a jailbreak is made available, there's a much larger access to tweaks/mods that can be implemented. iOS resource management is top notch.

Hey cool thanks for all the info!

What is jail broke?

Sounds great, so the only notification it won't have a a flashing light for email? You just have to pick up the phone and hit something so the lock screen lights up to see?

The iPhone will sync notes, reminders and such with my ipad?

Last edited:
Hey cool thanks for all the info!

What is jail broke?

Sounds great, so the only notification it won't have a a flashing light for email? You just have to pick up the phone and hit something so the lock screen lights up to see?

The iPhone will sync notes, reminders and such with my ipad?

Jailbreak is similar to rooting and such, allowing your root access and mod of system/default files.

If you get an notification, your lock screen will light up. For Android devices where your screen can light up, or a portion of your screen will display a small pattern. iOS devices will trigger a full screen light up, which will show your notification like you would experience from a text.

Yes. You can sync them with the Cloud and sync them back, or, you can use an email account to sync the data from your iPad or iPhone, then sync the data from your email account back to your iPhone or iPad

Very cool! I think I'll go for a 5c next month, thanks everyone very much!