What's new

Android user looking into iPhone with a few questions

WBMc36

Reaction score
Hello all, as the title says I have been an android user for about 4 years now. With this I have been fairly oblivious to what apple has been doing with the iPhone, but recently I have just gotten a little tired of having to root my device in order to get it to work properly. I would greatly appreciate if you guys/gals could clarify a few things for me about my daily phone use that will help me to make a decision. Honestly my next phone is either going to be the Galaxy S4 or and Iphone 5s/6 whatever they decide to call it.

Currently I own a Galaxy S3, my average expected daily battery life is around 18 hours, I heavily use google's services such as gmail, drive, music, books, maps, etc. I am unsure about the availability of some of these services on iOS, like I said I really have no idea.

I am sort of at a cross-roads because while I have loved android it is certainly a pain to use if you don't want to tinker with your phone all the time. My main concern with switching to an iPhone is screen size, battery life, and 4G. I have been on Verizon's 4G network now since it was launched and I absolutely love it. I haven't hear if the new iPhone will include this but it would most likely be a deal breaker if it did.

Basically anything type of comparison that would help me to make a decision will be great, and I will respond if you would like more info about how I use my smartphone on a daily basis.

Thanks.

I was a die hard android user and have been team iPhone for over a year now. I love it. You still can Jailbreak a device (similar to rooting) to be more customizable. I do miss the drag and drop anywhere you want on the home screen. Hence the reason you jailbreak. My battery use with non stop all day use is just over 10 hours. It was a hard transition but I don't regret it one bit!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

A couple other things, what about contact imports as well as widgets, as much of a gimmick as it may seem, I really love having the weather, google search, calendar, and twitter all on my home screen so i don't have to open an app to do any of that. I am a fairly busy person throughout the day and the less time I have to spend to get things done on my phone the better.

A couple other things, what about contact imports as well as widgets, as much of a gimmick as it may seem, I really love having the weather, google search, calendar, and twitter all on my home screen so i don't have to open an app to do any of that. I am a fairly busy person throughout the day and the less time I have to spend to get things done on my phone the better.

Widgets are available on a Jailbroken iDevice... requires a bit of customization though. No widgets on a stock iDevice though.

Contact import is easy. You just set up what you use. Google for example, I import my mail, contacts, and calendar flawlessly.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I was a die hard android user and have been team iPhone for over a year now. I love it. You still can Jailbreak device (similar to rooting) to. e more customizable. I do miss the drag and drop anywhere you want on the home screen. Hence the reason you jailbreak. My battery use p all day use is just over 10 hours. It was a hard transition but I don't regret it one bit!iPhoneMommy"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner
II have both iPhone and sg3 .There is not much you can do on iPhone except calling. I am an old guy with bad eyesite so iPhone screen is way to small. I hate the crApple policy of killing the jailbreak every time there is iOS update. I have to wait about 6 months for the jailbrake after iOSupdate. On Android I jus check box and I am done. Unlocking, with Android just call your provider and they will give you unlock code. With crApple, do you have unlock now?, no and it might take 6 months to get one. And then you will loose it along with jailbreak with new iOS update. Iphone is around for about 6 or 7 years. Then they were ground breakers, today iPhone 5 , aside of it size, looks the same boring as 3g was. Apple is just oudated and not showing any innovation. Bombastic news about penguines playing with iPad, how pathetic lol

Last edited:
Widgets are available on a Jailbroken iDevice... requires a bit of customization though. No widgets on a stock iDevice though.
Why would you want to jaibreak iPhone?. You would destroy that great user expearience everybody talks about. Or maybe it is just BS.

Why would you want to jaibreak iPhone?. You would destroy that great user expearience everybody talks about. Or maybe it is just BS.

Very, very few individuals can truly state that "Jailbreaking destroys the iOS experience." More over... Jailbreaking enhances your iOS experience.

I own an Android and iPhone device. Both have advantages. My sense is that you prefer Android. Therefore, perhaps you would feel more comfortable joining one of the many Android forums.

I guess I'll give some imput. I also own Android and IPhone. I like them both but my NEXUS is not a world phone. The battery life is unbelievable compared to the iPhone. Just today I still had 30% of battery left with 6hours and 15min of usage and 1day 3hrs, 46min on standby. Most battery i could get with the Nexus was 2hrs usage, 8hrs standby. I still use the Nexus on Weekend when I do not need it as much.

Ok, my input is pretty simple.... Everyone is going to have their own opinion, so here goes mine
I have always had an android and loved it, but you know it was so tempting to upgrade to a free iPhone 4s, especially
How the Sprint representative described the IPhone. I already owned an iPad, so I said what the heck.....BIG MISTAKE! One of my best friends had passed away right when I got the phone and just didn't take the phone back to return...all to find out I was 1 day too late. So I gave the iPhone a chance...and maybe it is better for the computer literate.. But I am not one of them.
Just make sure when you decide, you know the return policy ... I'm still wishing I had my old Samsung ! And it has been 6 months since.
Hope this helps, but like I said everyone and their likes vary
I say try the iPhone, again make sure you know the return policy and if you don't like it...go back to good ole faithful!