What's new

4.3.3 deleted my contacts. Please help.

maust78

Reaction score
When I updated to 4.3.3 on my iphone 3gs all my contacts was deleted.
How do I get them back?
There is a backup from yesterday but I dont know if it is from before or after the update.
Is there a way to check it without useing it?
And why on earth did the updated delete my contacts??

Try this
1)Restore back to your older version , then back up your contacts using outlook

2)Restore back to 4.3.3 then sync your contacts with outlook

I had a same problem wen i update from 4.3.3 to IOS 5 , so this is how i fix the problem

When I updated to 4.3.3 on my iphone 3gs all my contacts was deleted.
How do I get them back?
There is a backup from yesterday but I dont know if it is from before or after the update.
Is there a way to check it without useing it?
And why on earth did the updated delete my contacts??

It's called an iOS upgrade, and the upgrade does erase everything you have on the phone and load a new iOS version into the phone just like one you will get when you buy an iPhone from a store. Now iTunes must have backhoes your iPhone files before upgrade to a new iOS, and once the upgrade is done, iTunes must have asked you to set the phone as new or as the name your phone used to be, you should have selected the name your phone use to have and then iTunes should suggest you to restore your backup. I'm sure that you missed those steps, but it's not all lost, go to this folder in your computer: User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup. There you will see all the backups of your phone, if yes then connect your phone to your computer, open up iTunes and right click on your iPhone icons in the left long panel of iTunes, in the drop list select "restore backup" and chose not the most recent one, but the one before the most recent. ITunes will then restore that backup to your phone and once it's done, you will have back all your contacts along with all your settings and every other apps the way they were set in your phone.

Thanks for the info!

Problem was that the updated cleared out my contacts on the computer locally also.
After almost ripping my hair off I found a ok way to get my old contacts from my Nokia N95 over to my 3GS. Had to use PC suite and drag the card over to the computer then open them one by one and click "add to my contacts" to get windows contacts to accept them the sync with itunes. Sadly all my contacts i got since I got my 3GS are gone.

Oh and dont try to use the .csv system, you will have white hair before you are done with that. Also I could not export from PC suite all contacts at the same time to vCards. But to mark them all and drag them to a folder on the comp worked fine.

I hope this might help someone else who runs into the same problem as me.

/Maust78

I understand your frustrations but please back up of data regardless of platform is essential as then if something goes wrong or you hit the wrong button you can recover your data. The cost of buying backup the lowest in years so why is it a problem.

I have been supplying and supporting sites since 1984 and also iTunes on both platforms for 10 years rarely does the sync destroy the database on PC or Mac unless something has been done that has caused that to happen which frankly is rare. I am here to assist so let's see if we can resolve the issue.

My humble advice to you is to backup your contacts regularly using google mail (gmail) since it's always online and iTunes can restore them easily to your 3GS..
good luck