What's new

3GS - Various issues after jalbreak and BB downgrade - White screen

flash85

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone here can help me!
Il be as clear as i can, however after 3 days of pulling my hair out iv forgotten half of what iv done...

Current set up:
Iphone 3GS
Version 5.1.1
Serial: 86010********
Firmware: 05.13.04

I purchased the phone from a friend a couple of days ago, locked to the o2 network (UK), before handing the phone over to me he had restored the phone to clear all data and updated to the latest software and firmware.
The firmware that it initally had would not accept a network unlock, i then jailbroke the phone and (in my wisdom) decided to upgrade the firmware to 06.15.00, followed then by a downgrade to 05.13.04 baseband, therefore allowing an unlock.

This seemed to work fine for a few minutes, i installed ultrasn0w and unlocked to any network - so far so good - then the phone died and became stuck on a white screen.

I have tried various things, some have worked, some havent, i will try to be as clear as possible to explain what iv tried so far.

- Restoring the phone in itunes, using stock and custome ipsw, this throws up errors 28 or 1600, i have tried DFU mode etc.
- Removing the battery, once removed and reinstalled i then use 'just boot' in redsn0w, this then makes the phone work, however the phone dies after a period of time (ranging from 10 minutes to 1 hour).
On 3 occasions after battery removal the 'just boot' worked and the phone restarted, however (as it is currently) the just boot causes the screen to go white, it then stays white and does not start.
- Different USB ports and different computer for restoring.
- Tinyumbrella, recoveryfix does nothing.

Now after doing more reading, which i should have done before i started, i checked and realised the bootrom as the new style.
At some stage above, possibly the initial jailbreak or baseband upgrade (sorry i cant remember) i selected that my bootrom was the old style, i have since read that this can cause the alot of the issues i am getting???
Also, im not sure if it has any relavence, but i believe there was an option to 'hacktivate' somewhere at some stage, i possibly checked this, not sure if this would have any affect on my current problems at all?

At this stage I would prefer to have the phone completely stock, no jailbreak or unlock etc, however nothing seems to work at all.
Im no technical wizard, however i dont see this being a hardware issue as the phone does work for periods of time?

I am pretty sure i have missed things out as i have tried everything i can find, if anymore info is required to help me, let me know and i will rack my brain!
Any info is appreciated as i am completely lost!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ash.

If you manage to get your iPhone going again....try approaching O2 through your mate, for a factory unlock....got a family members O2 iPhone unlocked for free...

Hi Bula, the irritating thing is, when he gave me the phone i asked him to arrange for the unlock, which he did, however my gf needed the phone immedietly due to hers being stolen (couldnt wait 10 days and save my stress levels) , so the jalbreak was just for a temp unlock until she gets a new phone...