What's new

Updateing iPhone 3GS - Keep unlock via ultrasn0w

GazNicki

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3GS which has 5.1.1 and a 05.13.04 bootrom. The phone is unlocked using ultrasn0w.

It has the old bootrom as I flashed the iPad baseband then the 05.13.04 baseband to get where I am today.

I would like to update the phone, but want to maintain the unlock via ultrasn0w. Is this possible? Any advice is much appreciated.

Since you're on the old bootrom, UltraSn0w support is not a problem on iOS 6. As for updating and keeping both the jailbreak and the UltraSn0w, that's not possible as it's a full wipe of the device. Backup your device, tweaks, apps, etc using iTunes and a backup utility like PKGBackup or xBackup from Cydia, restore your device, rejailbreak it, reinstall the backup utility you installed, then restore the backup made with the backup utility.

Basically this will backup all your contents (sources, tweaks, apps, songs, etc), restore your device, jailbreak your device, restore everything back as much as possible, which is as close to upgrading your iOS and keeping your jailbreak as possible. As for your baseband, when restoring, if you don't feel like flashing the iPad Baseband and downgrading again, you can use RedSn0w to restore while preserving your baseband.

Sorry to sound dumb. If I understand correctly are my only options;

1) update to 6.1.3 using redsn0w to preserve baseband - but as this isn't covered with the evasi0n jailbreak I will lose my jailbreak and ultrasn0w unlock?

2) my only real option is to backup the device and jailbreak using the apps you mentioned, then going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Device and Settings.
Then re-applying jailbreak and ultrasn0w.

Is this correct?

1) You rejailbreak using RedSn0w which supports iOS 6.1.3

2) No. You have to restore using iTunes, or you'll end up with more problems than necessary. Then you rejailbreak and reinstall UltraSn0w

Is 6.1.3 tethered or untethered with redsn0w?

The old bootrom 3GS is always untethered with RedSn0w

Thanks.

So just to recap, I am ok to install 6.1.3 provided I use redsn0w to make a custom ISPW which will prevent baseband update, then jailbreak using redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w?

Use the restore feature in RedSn0w, it'll preserve the baseband without first having to stitch yourself, restore, then delete it

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't follow. I know I am being dense, sorry.

Go to extras > Even more > restore. Select the 6.1.3 IPSW, for blobs they shouldn't ask for it. Otherwise select remote. Then message will come up asking if you want to preserve your baseband, you will choose yes to preserve. It'll create the custom IPSW and restore in 1 step. Just follow the instructions on the screen after

Restoring will completely remove everything on your device.

That's cool. Thanks for that, I know I have been a PITA.

It's cool. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I'd want to double check myself before doing something to my phone that can end up screwing everything up