What's new

White screen/Error 28 After Jailbreak

0Toasted0

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS with RedSn0w. Something must have gone wrong during the process as the phone is now in permanent DFU mode. I believe that the phone must have some corrupt files.

I have tried recovering the phone with the official iOS 5.1. using iTunes, but I only receive 'Error 28'.

I then downloaded the custom firmware a forum post recommended '3GS 4.2.1. Custom', when attempting to recover using this, I received the same error as I had when using the official firmware.

When I attempt to re-jailbreak using Redsn0w, (after selecting the correct firmware), the process begins, yet phone 'reboots' to white screen and stays thus until going black again a minute or two later.

I am unable to 'Just Boot Tethered'.

I am therefore at a loss as to what to try. I seem to need a way to wipe then install the firmware without using iTunes.

If anyone can help it would be really really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Any time I've come across Error 28 before it has been a hardware error in relation to the dock connector / USB. I one case it was fixed by using alternative PC and cable, but in all the others it was terminal (in other words it was a real hardware error in the phone).

It's unlikely the jailbreak caused this. Software doesn't normally create a hardware error, certainly not on iPhones... I suspect it's just bad luck / timing.

Definitely try an alternative USB port, cable, and if possible PC. Or, take the device into any Apple store and they will restore it for you, or confirm it is a hardware issue, whichever is correct.

f4780y is right it's usually a hardware issue with USB cable or computer USB port..... if the problem still persists after trying everything your probably looking at a corrupted Nand chip... this can be fixed by letting your iPhone drain all battery power....do not charge your phone for a week(very important) allowing the Nand chip to reset when charging is applied... this should allow you to restore your iPhone in iTunes...Good Luck

Why not just DFU Restore to 5.1.1?

It's never guaranteed that putting iPhone into DFU mode to restore back to factory settings will work when an error message is displayed....if the problem turns out to be a USB cable the OP will always get an error message regardless of DFU mode..until the USB cable is replaced...