What's new

3GS Jailbreak Headache

johannes2008

Reaction score
Hello All

So I am trying to jailbreak my 3GS so I can then unlock it. I updated to IOS 5 before I did it (I know I know, serious noob mistake) and tried following the instructions on redsn0w's website for how to break it -

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Hacking Section Rules. No external links. redsn0w does not have it's own site with tutorials! redsn0w is only available from the iPhone Dev-Team blog.

The thing is on step 5 the links it provides are for 5.0.1 Beta, not iOS 5 like it says you need in the step. So I went online and downloaded what I think is iOS 5. However there was no file with and .ipsw tag. I took the largest file in the download and changed the tag to ipsw. When I went into redsn0w and tried to select that file for "select IPSW" it says that ISPW is not supported by this version of redsn0w (version 9.9b8).

I have been all over the internet trying to firgure this out but have had zero lock. All I want to do is unlock my damn iphone so that I can use it on another carrier. I would REALLY appreciate anyhelp.

Thanks
-Johannes

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no need to download any firmware for the newest redsn0w. It will automatically detect your firmware and download the files you need.

Hey Jmills87

Thanks for the reply. I tried jalbreaking using the just jailbreak feature on redsn0w but what that gave me was a Cyndia that had a blank white icon that wouldn't work when opened, it just closes right away.

Thanks
-Johannes