What's new

3G Data Speeds faster than expected.

Ghopps

Reaction score
Having an AT&T ipad and being impressed with it's speed, I have always been disappointed with the data speed of my Verizon Blackberry Storm. However, after trying out loading some pages on the VZ iPhone, I was surprised at how fast it was. Now, I know that some benchmarks have come out stating that the AT&T data speeds were faster, but my experience, at least with the iPad, is that I see little difference.

In other words, I don't feel like I am missing out on the Verizon 3G.
Any thoughts?

Having an AT&T ipad and being impressed with it's speed, I have always been disappointed with the data speed of my Verizon Blackberry Storm. However, after trying out loading some pages on the VZ iPhone, I was surprised at how fast it was. Now, I know that some benchmarks have come out stating that the AT&T data speeds were faster, but my experience, at least with the iPad, is that I see little difference.

In other words, I don't feel like I am missing out on the Verizon 3G.
Any thoughts?

Its going to get slower I think when the 10th rolls out. Everyone will be downloading apps and ect but I think Verizon network can handle that.

You have good a point there. But keep in mind that many other Verizon smartphones did not give you the option to switch over to wifi where available. They forced users to use 3G even when wifi was available. I think with iphone always looking for one, it may actually help keep things under control.

I remember my blackberry only used 3G for data. No option for Wifi.

You have good a point there. But keep in mind that many other Verizon smartphones did not give you the option to switch over to wifi where available. They forced users to use 3G even when wifi was available. I think with iphone always looking for one, it may actually help keep things under control.

I remember my blackberry only used 3G for data. No option for Wifi.

Completely agree. If Im gonna download an app that is large (>50MB) i will not do it till im on wifi. And I have wifi at my house, school, and work lol But yeah, Im sure there will be a bit of a slow down the first week or two during the WOW LOOK WHAT IT CAN DO phase lol. But I have faith in Verizon (and biased faith cause I have their stock lol) and hope they will do fine

Verizon's 3G network is about 2-3x slower, on my Droid I would get around 500Kbps-1.5Mbps, with AT&T on my iPhone 3G I would get 1.5-3Mbps.

Before comparing VZ droid with an ATT iPhone, let's first compare VZ iPhone to ATT iPhone. There is something to be said about the speed of these browsers using the A4 chip. Apple magic I call it. Can't figure out how they can make a slow network seem faster. Not to take anything away from Droid, just that there seems to always be an initial lag before it starts to process where you want to go. I don't experience that with iPhone on either network.

Before comparing VZ droid with an ATT iPhone, let's first compare VZ iPhone to ATT iPhone. There is something to be said about the speed of these browsers using the A4 chip. Apple magic I call it. Can't figure out how they can make a slow network seem faster. Not to take anything away from Droid, just that there seems to always be an initial lag before it starts to process where you want to go. I don't experience that with iPhone on either network.
I don't compare speeds based on browsing, I use speed test applications.