What's new

2017 iPhone Set to Include Iris Scanner Authentication

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
2017 iPhone to have iris scanner.JPG

According to a report from Chinese website MoneyDJ via DigiTimes and MacRumors, Apple intends to include iris-scanning security authentication in the 2017 iPhone, which will be the 10th Anniversary edition of the phone.

This is not the first time that we’ve heard this rumour, but previously the techology was not expected to debut until 2018 at the earliest.

The iris scanner could be used either alongside, or instead of, Touch ID to authenticate the user’s identity, in the same way in which the fingerprint is used now, not just to unlock your phone, but also to make payments, and much more.

The human iris has a complex random pattern unique to each individual that makes it ideal for such purposes.

Taiwan company, Xintec, which is affiliated with Apple manufacturing partner TSMC, is scheduled to start mass production of iris-recognition chips in 2017. MoneyDJ’s sources say that Xintec may well be commissioned to manufacture iris-recognition sensors for the 2017 iPhone.

Samsung has just introduced an iris scanner in its new Galaxy Note7 phone, which goes on sale this Friday, and many other phone manufacturers are now intending to do the same, including Apple, it would seem.

Sources: Next Year's iPhone Said to Include Iris Scanner to Authenticate With Your Eyes

[In-Depth Look] Keeping an Eye on Security: The Iris Scanner of the Galaxy Note7

No thanks. I don't want it to use on my cherish eyes. NAH! I am fine with old fashion: Typing the password. No, I am not using touch ID either as well. I am wise and not stupid.

While iris scanning may very well provide a very secure log in method for mobile devices, using it for something like Apple Pay would be much less convenient. You'd probably have to remove your glasses or sunglasses and hold the iPhone up to your face so that the scanner can view your iris, then hold the iPhone near the payment terminal. This certainly has more steps and seems less convenient than the way Touch ID and Apple Pay currently work.

While iris scanning may very well provide a very secure log in method for mobile devices, using it for something like Apple Pay would be much less convenient. You'd probably have to remove your glasses or sunglasses and hold the iPhone up to your face so that the scanner can view your iris, then hold the iPhone near the payment terminal. This certainly has more steps and seems less convenient than the way Touch ID and Apple Pay currently work.

That's true but I don't trust their technology for iris eye. I will protect my eyes and won't used it anyway.

That's true but I don't trust their technology for iris eye. I will protect my eyes and won't used it anyway.
If the rumoured iris scanner becomes reality, it will likely use a similar security technology as Touch ID whereby the iris scan record will be kept on the Secure Element chip used for Touch ID. This means that this information never leaves the iPhone and is not included in any backups. This is why you have to set up Touch ID manually after restoring from a backup.

If the rumoured iris scanner becomes reality, it will likely use a similar security technology as Touch ID whereby the iris scan record will be kept on the Secure Element chip used for Touch ID. This means that this information never leaves the iPhone and is not included in any backups. This is why you have to set up Touch ID manually after restoring from a backup.

Actually, Touch ID never asked me to do that. I never used it. I always backup using my old fashion password through text. :)

Actually, Touch ID never asked me to do that. I never used it. I always backup using my old fashion password through text. :)
You'll only be asked about setting up Touch ID again after restoring from a backup if you were using Touch ID at the time the backup was made. If you were using Touch ID, that fact is noted in the backup even though the actual fingerprint scans are not included.

You'll only be asked about setting up Touch ID again after restoring from a backup if you were using Touch ID at the time the backup was made. If you were using Touch ID, that fact is noted in the backup even though the actual fingerprint scans are not included.

That's right and thats why I disabled it. Thanks.

Why not use something like Touch ID that makes all things easier and safer. No one can look what code you type like happened to my sisters daughter and then they took her phone changed code and gave it back.
Instead they could done much more with it. Now she got a 5S and use Touch ID instead of her old 5C.
Touch ID is a very good and fast way to unlock your phone. But don't forget the code you need it when restating after empty battery or restart.
I would never want to go back to use password again when had Touch ID since it came out. [emoji1303]

Sent using Tapatalk

Interesting thread this, so far in Germany l have never seen a shop were you put your bank card in the gadget and paid with your thumb. It's all so easy for people look over your shoulder.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Interesting thread this, so far in Germany l have never seen a shop were you put your bank card in the gadget and paid with your thumb. It's all so easy for people look over your shoulder.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.
Any shop with a payment terminal that accepts contactless payments can be used with Apple Pay(which requires Touch ID).