What's new

Samsung Launches Galaxy S8 and S8+

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S8 launches.JPG

Samsung has today launched its new flagship Galaxy S8 and S8+ phones at dual events in Lincoln Center in New York and Olympic Park in London. The potential rival for Apple’s forthcoming iPhone 8 needs to be a huge success for Samsung in the wake of the exploding Note7 recall debacle last year. Also, it’s interesting to study some of the phone’s new features, as they give us an inkling as to what we might expect from the iPhone 8 later in the year.

MacRumors reports that the phones come in 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch versions and have curved edge-to-edge QHD AMOLED displays with a 2960x1440 resolution and minimal bezel, meaning that the home button and fingerprint sensor is now on the back of the phone, just as has been rumoured elsewhere today for the new iPhone 8.

The back camera has a 12 megapixel f/1.7 lens, and the front-facing camera has an 8 megapixel f/1.7 camera with autofocus, as well as integrated iris scanning and facial recognition for the purposes of unlocking the phone and various other authentication uses. Both of these features have been rumoured for the forthcoming flagship OLED iPhone 8.

Other Galaxy S8 features unveiled today include Samsung’s new virtual assistant, Bixby, which was developed by the original team behind Apple’s Siri.

The Galaxy S8 runs Android 7.0, and has a Snapdragon 835 processor, a 10 nanometer chip made by Qualcomm and Samsung, 4GM of RAM and 64GB or 128GB storage options plus microSD support for up to 256GB. Both models feature fast wireless charging, which is another feature expected to be included in Apple's 2017 iPhone line-up.

So, now we know all there is to know about the iPhone’s major competition this year, but we’ve got a few more months to wait yet until Apple unveils the challenger to Samsung’s contender.

Source: Samsung Unveils Galaxy S8 and S8+ With Iris and Facial Recognition, No Home Button

My previous love of Samsung Galaxy phones has me liking the S8. There are tons of great features and we can't deny the phone is sexy! With all that being said I'm not feeling any desire to switch back to Android. I do hope to see some of these features on the next IPhone. The next few months and all the rumors will be so much fun to follow!

I don't like them at all.
But I can't wait to Apple CEO show new device, iPhone 7s.
That will be awesome cell phone. iPhone 7s Matt Black 256GB, dream of all iPhone owners.