What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Yet those on the more optimistic side of this argument will say, "but remember, with each new iOS update, come 10's of thousands of new lines of code to be exploited". And they're right about that.

Aox4121, that is exactly right. It doesn't matter how many loopholes Apple closes, as long as they keep adding new features and software, there will always be new exploits. They can close the exploits they left in the past, but they cannot account for the holes that will come in the future.

No reason to be pessimistic. Every time Apple releases a new firmware there are always the naysayers who say "this is the end of jailbreaking" and they are always proven wrong.

Aox4121, that is exactly right. It doesn't matter how many loopholes Apple closes, as long as they keep adding new features and software, there will always be new exploits. They can close the exploits they left in the past, but they cannot account for the holes that will come in the future.

No reason to be pessimistic. Every time Apple releases a new firmware there are always the naysayers who say "this is the end of jailbreaking" and they are always proven wrong.
But Jmills, you can't deny that Apple is getting smarter. There IS a reason why ios4's first JB took only 7 weeks and 5.1.1's took 16 weeks. Then iOS 6's JB took 20 weeks. I fully agree that there will always be a jailbreak possible. But there's a point in the future at which they will become impractical to wait for, because by the time one is found the next iOS major update will be out with the newest device that everyone will want. That's really the main cause for pessimism. The JB process just takes too long these days. And history teaches us that iOS 7 will take even longer than 20 weeks to JB.

But there's a point in the future at which they will become impractical to wait for, because by the time one is found the next iOS major update will be out with the newest device that everyone will want.

If it hadn't been found before the next major update, that means it will likely still be available in that new update. Also, at any point in time they could discover a new bootrom exploit which would make all current devices permanently jailbreakable (like iPhone4 and lower devices)

If it hadn't been found before the next major update, that means it will likely still be available in that new update. Also, at any point in time they could discover a new bootrom exploit which would make all current devices permanently jailbreakable (like iPhone4 and lower devices)
Ahh - thou art the eternal optimist, I see... Lol!! I hope you're right. But the chances of another bootrom exploit are near nil from techie friends I chat with. The first time was a fluke. But - HERE'S to hoping. :)

Looks like the iOS7 jailbreak might come faster than any jailbreak before it. P0sixninja himself has discovered all the necessary exploits for a new jailbreak and he is saving them until iOS7.

https://twitter.com/p0sixninja/status/317486262133088256

https://twitter.com/p0sixninja/status/317488824836055040
iOS 7 isn't even to us developer acct people, JMills - unless I missed something. Lol! P0sixninja referred to having sufficient exploits for 6.1.3 but he'd prefer to hold on til 7 I just don't see how he could know if they work on 7 unless he has 7. But that IS promising if they work on 7.

iOS 7 isn't even to us developer acct people, JMills - unless I missed something. Lol! P0sixninja referred to having sufficient exploits for 6.1.3 but he'd prefer to hold on til 7 I just don't see how he could know if they work on 7 unless he has 7. But that IS promising if they work on 7.

Unless Apple finds out the exploits, they won't patch them in the upcoming releases. They won't know what the exploits are unless they have insider info/tips about it. You can't patch what you don't know. And it's just a reference. The next iOS can be iOS 6.2 or iOS 7 for all we know, it's just a general prospect.

Ya, if the exploits exist in iOS6, they will exist in iOS7 assuming Apple doesn't independently find them. That's why the devs keep things under wraps while they're working on new jailbreaks because unless Apple knows what they're exploiting, it is very hard for them to locate the exact exploit that they've found.

Ya, if the exploits exist in iOS6, they will exist in iOS7 assuming Apple doesn't independently find them. That's why the devs keep things under wraps while they're working on new jailbreaks because unless Apple knows what they're exploiting, it is very hard for them to locate the exact exploit that they've found.

Unless Apple has a change of heart and decides to release the exploitable aspects of the iOS or device and give the developers time to test it out.... LOL

Hey guys, I'm new here, just joined when I got an iPhone 5 today. Started doing my research on jailbreaking right away, without updating the firmware of course. However, my girlfriend was playing my phone while updating her 4S, and decided to run the update on mine as well, oops... Needless to say I've got 6.1.3 now, and from what I've read I'm pretty much SOL until the next iOS is released and jailbroken. Any thoughts or ways I can get around this? Or maybe a plea for P0sixNinja to release something for 6.1.3 instead of waiting for 6.2 or 7? Any feedback's appreciated =)

As mentioned in the first post, you can't downgrade the 4S regardless of whether you have blobs for your device or not. Only the 3GS, 4 and iPod Touch 4th Gen have a tethered jailbreak, and as already mentioned, none of the developers will be burning any exploits for iOS 6.1.3. There's also no ETA on the next jailbreak since the next beta iOS hasn't been pushed out to developers.

Hey guys, I'm new here, just joined when I got an iPhone 5 today. Started doing my research on jailbreaking right away, without updating the firmware of course. However, my girlfriend was playing my phone while updating her 4S, and decided to run the update on mine as well, oops... Needless to say I've got 6.1.3 now, and from what I've read I'm pretty much SOL until the next iOS is released and jailbroken. Any thoughts or ways I can get around this? Or maybe a plea for P0sixNinja to release something for 6.1.3 instead of waiting for 6.2 or 7? Any feedback's appreciated =)
If that were my girlfriend - she'd be my "ex-girlfriend". You are completely screwed. P0sixNinja has said he will hold all his exploits until iOS 7 is released. So no jailbreak for you - until then, my friend. If you wanted it that bad - you could return this phone of yours. Then go to a store like BestBuy or Kohl's or some off the beaten track place where they'll still have older stock of iPhone 5 where you'll lkely find it preinstalled with 6.0 --> 6.1.2.. That's you're only hope until the summer when iOS7 and the iPhone 5S come out. So sorry.

i had a jailbroken 6.1.2 iphone 4s but updated when to 6.1.3 because i was going to sell it because i just jailbroke my iphone 5 anyway didnt sell it and now the wifes got it.....bugger will have to wait for 6.1.3 to be jailbroken to stop her moaning lol.

regards will

i0n1c (Stefan Esser) releases a paper to SyScan 2013 here with vulnerabilities left open, potentially being the vulnerabilities being saved for iOS 7....

i0n1c (Stefan Esser) releases a paper to SyScan 2013 here with vulnerabilities left open, potentially being the vulnerabilities being saved for iOS 7....
Please tell me Ionic wasn't so reckless as to post it in a public place where Apple could read it. What a foolhardy thing that would be.