What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

From the sounds of things, those waiting for a new jailbreak will have to wait a long while. Reports out there suggest that iOS7 likely won't be ready until September now due to some pretty massive changes to the UI and OS itself.

Sadly I am one of those people waiting..
Yep. The 5S will likely release with 6.1.4.

Yep. The 5S will likely release with 6.1.4.

It won't. iOS 6.1.4 is iPhone 5 specific. A new device will only come with an existing iOS if it's made universal, and since history repeats itself, a new device signifies a new iOS release. In iOS history, each new device was signified with a brand new threshold of iOS. The iPhone 3GS came with iOS 3.0, the 4 came with iOS 4, the 4S came with iOS 5 and the 5 came with iOS 6.

Last edited:
That would be the case.

Since that is the likely scenario, it is _very_ unlikely that any current hack to make a jailbreak will still work due to iOS7 under going such a massive overhaul. It would make more sense to use the existing hacks found to JB 6.1.3+, then once iOS7 is released to see what is exploitable for the next JB release.

Holding on to hacks for 5+ months with no guarantee they will even work seems like a foolish thing to do.

Since that is the likely scenario, it is _very_ unlikely that any current hack to make a jailbreak will still work due to iOS7 under going such a massive overhaul. It would make more sense to use the existing hacks found to JB 6.1.3+, then once iOS7 is released to see what is exploitable for the next JB release.

Holding on to hacks for 5+ months with no guarantee they will even work seems like a foolish thing to do.

It depends on the delivery method, which is the biggest turning point, mostly using hardware exploits. Unless Ive completely rebuilds the sandboxing and everything out of scratch. On the other hand, if they can't be carried over to iOS 7, they'll release one for iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 for current users if anything so not to waste them.

It won't. iOS 6.1.4 is iPhone 5 specific. A new device will only come with an existing iOS if it's made universal, and since history repeats itself, a new device signifies a new iOS release. In iOS history, each new device was signified with a brand new threshold of iOS. The iPhone 3GS came with iOS 3.0, the 4 came with iOS 4, the 5 came with iOS 5 and the 5 came with iOS 6.
One correction. The '4S' came with iOS5. That doesn't change your point. But Apple may have to break their pattern this time. iOS7 won't be ready in time for the expected 5S June release. Apple won't miss that June release. They want too badly to get back to their original June release dates of the first 3 iphones.

Lack of sleep does that.... up 32 hours makes you delusional >.> Corrected in original post.

It would be impractical to release the 5S without a completely new iOS. If they do release the 5S on iOS 6, it would be on iOS 6.1.5 or iOS 6.2, meaning that there's absolutely zero software difference to be introduced with the 5S, meaning it's just another 5 without a new shell, and slightly better hardware. To be honest, the last groundbreaking iOS update was iOS 5. iOS 6 brought next to nothing to iOS.

If Apple were to release the 5S with iOS 6.1.4, they would have to pre-create the device's profile for iOS 6.1.4

Added links to tuts over in the Hacking Tutorials & Guides section for the newbies that haven't gotten the feel of navigating the forums, and also for the lazy members that don't want to click around :p

There's quite literally a link to a tutorial I just created that teaches you how to do it. The sample device is even an iPhone 4. Scroll down a little more and actually read it before posting please.

There's quite literally a link to a tutorial I just created that teaches you how to do it. The sample device is even an iPhone 4. Scroll down a little more and actually read it before posting please.

I almost wish I had the 4 instead of the 4s....

should i save the 6.1.3 blob and hope for something or forget about it and wait for 7 to come out.

I'm on a 4s running 5.0.1 and cannot upgrade or get a lot of apps due to such an old version. Can't lose my untethered JB though.

should i save the 6.1.3 blob and hope for something or forget about it and wait for 7 to come out.

I'm on a 4s running 5.0.1 and cannot upgrade or get a lot of apps due to such an old version. Can't lose my untethered JB though.

Always save your blobs. Just because there's no use for them now, doesn't mean that a use won't be found in the future.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Added UnthreadedJB to the scam list.

Last edited:
Update: @winocm has abandoned the idea of waiting for iOS 7's GM release and has begun his work on an iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered jailbreak as the exploits/vulnerabilities from iOS 6 are non-viable or patched with iOS 7. Updates will be made when they're available by @winocm.

This untethered jailbreak will work on all iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad models.

Update: @winocm has abandoned the idea of waiting for iOS 7's GM release and has begun his work on an iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered jailbreak as the exploits/vulnerabilities from iOS 6 are non-viable or patched with iOS 7. Updates will be made when they're available by @winocm.

This untethered jailbreak will work on all iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad models.
Ok, so I'm not a hacker or developer, but why would he wait until a week before iOS 7 comes out to "abandon the idea of waiting for iOS 7's GM release" to begin working on iOS 6.1.3/4? Why not just wait and JB 7 in a whopping 8 days ?

Bless the guy for their efforts and I TRULY hope they can do it. I'm just confused as to breaking an old iOS a week before the next one.

Rik