What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Basically, yes. But it works just fine using the 6.0 IPSW.
There were a lot more than "hot fixes", Thomas, since iOS 6.0. The 6.1.2 update closed a huge battery drain issue with exchange calendars that I need working properly on my iPhone 4. Will I run into that bug still using the 6.0 IPSW?

What makes IOS SDK for iDevices different from a Jailbreak? Besides IOS SDK being a Software Developmental tool like Xcode etc, don't you also have access to install the IOS SDK firmware to an iDevice such as the iPhone for example? If so, then would you have root access to system files etc making it possible to install Cydia and Cydia apps etc?

Jailbreaking allows you to run non-Apple signed codes and apps and such. You can accomplish the same thing on a developer cracked device, just that you have to do it manually rather than having premade packages that you can install in seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Thanks for clarifying that. Kinda like what Hackint0shers have to do in a way if you will to be able to run OSX on a compatible PC. The Tools and Docs on how to do it are there but the individual has to do it themselves and as far as I know pay for the IOS SDK or not? $99 US for only 1 year to install it on an Iphone for example.

Thanks for clarifying that. Kinda like what Hackint0shers have to do in a way if you will to be able to run OSX on a compatible PC. The Tools and Docs on how to do it are there but the individual has to do it themselves and as far as I know pay for the IOS SDK or not? $99 US for only 1 year to install it on an Iphone for example.

Correct. The $99 annual cost is the price for DIY and developers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

The only problem is how is one to get root. So its back to the jailbreak seems to be the only way. Without root how can one run ssh, ifile and install apps through ifile for example. Maybe that is what you mean by IOS SDK cracked?

You can root your device using iExplorer or iFunBox. It doesn't require a jailbreak. Unlike the Android OS, you won't be able to do as much in terms of installing and such.

Hi, due to a problem I had on my iPhone 3Gs I needed to restored it with the net result I have 6.1.3 on my phone. I see I can get a tethered JB via RedSn0w but I am confused with the IPSW file. I have downloaded the 6.1.3 file - iPhone2,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.zip and the 6.0 file - iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.zip. When I extract these files neither has an IPSW file that I can point RedSn0w to. I have also read in previous replies that I should use IPSW 6.0 instead of 6.1.3. What am I doing wrong?

You don't need to extract anything. Rename them from .zips to .IPSW. Or use a non-Internet Explorer browser to download them if they end up being corrupted.

You can root your device using iExplorer or iFunBox. It doesn't require a jailbreak. Unlike the Android OS, you won't be able to do as much in terms of installing and such.

Serious? I have both installed on my Mac OSX 10.8.3. I can root the non jailbreak iphone 4s without at least installing SSH? I thought iExplorer and ifunbox rely on ssh?

Anyhow is there a doc on how to go about this? If it can be rooted then I can do all the manual installs that cydia automates right? starting with ssh then apt-get etc or would I need to root and have an SDK account to do the rest?