What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Yes. This is the input I got from someone on ModMyI as well. That in advanced mode - it's likely the Evasi0n untether deb that's causing the issue. But I just last night restored from 6.1.2 to 6.1.2 with Evasi0n 1.5. And same thing happened. OOOH!! Bug my openbackup backup had been done when i was using 1.4 Evasion untether. So that's likely it - right? If I were to do it yet again 6.1.2 to 6.1.2 Evasion 1.5 AFTER having backed up the debs from a phone JB'ed with 1.5 it would work? Or since, When you're ready to restore from OpenBackup you're already jailbroken, could I just delete the evaders deb file since it's already installed? Are you sure the evaders deb file is tied to Cydia? I thought it was just the untether tweak itself?

Thanks for your help, all!

Just remove that deb. It doesn't need to be installed again. When you first open up cydia it will give you the option to install the latest version anyway if it isn't already there.

Just remove that deb. It doesn't need to be installed again. When you first open up cydia it will give you the option to install the latest version anyway if it isn't already there.
Thanks, x98car! I think you're close. But I wrote to the developer (Zokunei) of OpenBackUp and here was his response over two emails. Explains it well.
On Feb 27, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Zokunei wrote:
One important thing to note is that you still need to do an iTunes or iCloud backup and restore to get the Cydia sources transferred over. OpenBackUp 2.0.4 shouldn't break Cydia in this case, though, unless your .deb backup was made with a previous version (the reason being that the "OpenBackup_.deb" file in the "MoveToAutoInstall" folder would install the code from that older version).
On Feb 27, 2013, at 1:26 PM, aox4121 wrote:
My most recent deb backup was on 6.1.2 where I ran the .deb BackUp routine (not using simple... only advanced mode). I hate iTunes and never restore from iTunes backup on computer or iCloud. I ran the Advanced (deb) backup on my iP5 that was jailbroken with Evasi0n 1.4. Now upon restore to 6.1.2, I jailbroke with 1.5 Evasi0n. Then used your OpenBackup Advanced (deb) Restore method. Reboot - Cydia crashing. 2nd time this has happened- so it's a repeatable bug, bro.

On Feb 27, 2013, ----- PM, Zokunei wrote:
It definitely sounds like it's because you didn't restore using an iTunes or iCloud backup. I forgot to put a check in place for the Advanced Restore mode in OpenBackup to make sure you have your sources backed up before removing the default sources. Sorry.

Once I fix this you will be able to not do an iTunes or iCloud backup before a .deb restore. But remember your custom Cydia sources won't be restored.

Thank you for alerting me of this bug.
So this is good news. It explains that something in the OpenBackUp Advanced Restore definitely breaks Cydia. I was pretty sure it wasn't just a fluke on my end. And it also shows that the evasi0n untether .deb has nothing to do with Cydia crashing. Unless I'm misreading something there.

Thanks, x98car! I think you're close. But I wrote to the developer (Zokunei) of OpenBackUp and here was his response over two emails. Explains it well.

So this is good news. It explains that something in the OpenBackUp Advanced Restore definitely breaks Cydia. I was pretty sure it wasn't just a fluke on my end. And it also shows that the evasi0n untether .deb has nothing to do with Cydia crashing. Unless I'm misreading something there.

Yup, sounds like he's saying he designed openbackup to work in conjunction with a iTunes/iCloud backup. When I used it I did use a iTunes backup as well.

Yup, sounds like he's saying he designed openbackup to work in conjunction with a iTunes/iCloud backup. When I used it I did use a iTunes backup as well.
Yep. I don't use iTunes backups if at all possible. What most people don't know is that little corrupt things from a jailbroken state get saved in the same preferences files that an iTunes backup captures. And in so doing can cause you problems even after you've done a full restore. The moment you do the restore from backup in iTunes those problem little files can get loaded back onto your phone. The normal procedure should always be a "SetUp as new iPhone".

I didn't believe this when I first heard it and then after one restore one time I noticed that the RAM was still being indicated in my status bar that I had set on from using SBSettings. That was very weird to see on a "stock" iPhone But it was proof to me that jailbroken state things get stored in iTunes backups that we may not want back.

So you ask, "how then do you get your chat sessions and your app data back without an iTunes restore from backup". Well it's a little more time-consuming but it can be done pretty easily with iExplorer - an AppStore app. It allows you (after re-jailbroken) to look into the file structure of your phone even in stock state and look at all the contents of the iTunes backups on your computer. In there you can easily copy back your chat sessions, camera roll, and any app data for your games, etc.; basically selecting only the things to add back to your phone that you know are not potentially corrupted. Email accounts I always reset up from scratch. And reload apps themselves from iTunes through a sync.

It makes the restore process a little bit more laborious but also you have the confidence of knowing nothing weird from your jailbroken state (that was the cause of your restore to begin with most likely) would still be in the phone after the full restore and iTunes restore from backup process.

Last edited:
Updated the Evasi0n links for Evasi0n 1.5.3

Is this a fix over 1.5.0 release? I did mine already. Will I need to restore Apple Stock Firmware then start over with 1.5.3 or is 1.5.0 ok for now?

Is this a fix over 1.5.0 release? I did mine already. Will I need to restore Apple Stock Firmware then start over with 1.5.3 or is 1.5.0 ok for now?

1.5.3 includes French I believe. As long as the package in Cydia is up to date, it's fine.

So these updates are basically for the installer part and nothing new with the actual jailbreak for example partitioning issue or memory management issues that necessitate a re-jailbreak?

So these updates are basically for the installer part and nothing new with the actual jailbreak for example partitioning issue or memory management issues that necessitate a re-jailbreak?

That's the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

6.1.3 can be tethered on pre-A5 devices. Same method as 6.0-6.1.2, use the iOS 6.0 IPSW with RedSn0w.

6.1.3 can be tethered on pre-A5 devices. Same method as 6.0-6.1.2, use the iOS 6.0 IPSW with RedSn0w.
I thought Limera1n was the only solution for preA5 devices downgrading or tethering a new iOS. Is the Limera1n break method included in RedSn0w?

Because all the subsequent iOS versions after 6.0 are small hot fixes that use the same 6.0 base programming. redsn0w requires the use of the iOS 6.0 IPSW for all Jailbreaking processes due to this.