What's new

n000b-proof way of jb 4.2.8 (windows only)

Verizon dude

Reaction score
so if you're like me, and had a black iphone 4, and really wanted the white one, and got it.. than u would soon realize that you sir are stuck with 4.2.8.. and if u tried to jailbreak your i4, and kept getting error signs no matter what people told u, fear no more, i am here to help u!

So lemme start from the begining. okie dokie, first off.. u need to download the following programs. just use google to find them. 1. snowbreeze 2.7r1 2. tinyumbrella 4.33.00

So now before u start up snowbreeze, put your iphone 4 into DFU mode. (hold power button and home button for 10 secs, than let go of power button and keep your finger on the home button for 10 more secs) now on itunes it should say 'your iphone is in dfu mode' so click on restore. once the ORIGINAL ipsw is downloaded from itunes, put your iphone 4 back into DFU mode, and close itunes.

Now open up Snowbreeze and locate that NEW ipsw that was downloaded from itunes. its usually under C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates if you still cant find it, just click on my computer and search 'iphone software updates' and u should see it. DO NOT DRAG THAT IPSW ONTO YOUR DESKTOP. snowbreeze will ask u to locate file.. just locate it, than create the custom made ipsw. it should be on your desktop.

Now go onto your host file. it should be under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc open the Host File with word pad and double check that all the 'gs.apple.com numbers have a # infront of it, if it doesnt, add a # infront of it. save the host file, and if u see a host umbrella file, delete that.

Now open your tinyumbrella, and click on advanced and tick off 'cydia on exit' and click on apply changed and than start ssh.

NOW before u open itunes, with snowbreeze, run ireb to make sure your iphone 4 is in DFU mode, than open itunes, and click on shift and restore, and locate your CUSTOM IPSW that u made with snowbreeze (should be on desktop) and VOILA!

i was about to toilet paper every apple store in sight cos i kept gettint he stupid error 1013. grr

but now i finally fixed it after 4 days of trying lol.

I think I will wait for greenpois0n. Instructions are one line long. Download software, go into dfu mode, and jailbreak. Thats the way jailbreaking should be.

The OP makes it sound much more complicated than it is. You should only need to enter DFU once (the same as greenpoision).

1. Download 4.2.8 and snowbreeze
2. Follow the instructions to create your custom firmware
3. Snowbreeze will then tell you to put your device into DFU
4. Once snowbreeze is finished open iTunes and hold shift while clicking on restore and choose you firmware.

For those of you waiting on greepoision snowbreeze uses the greepoision jailbreak...

I used snowbreeze yesterday to jb 4.2.8 and I downloaded the program altered DFU and restore. All of 10 mins. I won't do it if I have to do all the steps mentioned in the initial post. There are so many good breaks out there I have not heard mention by the folks at GreenPois0n that they are going to even bother making one under their banner.

yeah dude it took me 4 days lol n now i love my white jailbroken iphone 4 lol

I want to do which ever is easiest and noobie/proof. I am on 4.2,8 Verizon. And very new to iPhone world.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I want to do which ever is easiest and noobie/proof. I am on 4.2,8 Verizon. And very new to iPhone world.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Verzion users only have one option depending on which computer they have. Snowbreeze for windows or pwnage tool for mac...