What's new

iphone 3gs 4.1 upgrade to 5.1.1 am having problems and 3194 error help please

phoneman1

Reaction score
Hello, i was woundering if you can help please, i have another iphone 3gs, its on 4.1 and shsh is saved for 4.1/ 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 and 6.0.1. it has be unlocked and jailbroken by redsnow using ipad baseband 6.15.00, i have already created 5.1.1 firmware by using snowbreeze software (i tryed to create 5.1.1 firmware through redsnow but it comes with message saying 'memory exhusted' i even tryed using latest redsnow version i get the same message) so therefore i used latest snowbreeze and created custom 5.1.1 with no problems.

right problem i am having is,

Using redsnow, i select ipsw ( upload offical 5.1.1 firmware, then get it to pwd dfu mode, so i can upload the custom 5.1.1 firmware which i created through snowbreeze, i get an error 3194? i then checked my 'host file' delete the other line and Left this line in host file eg. .. #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com.
still i get the same 3194 error...

option 1) get the iphone out of dfu mode, now do i have to go to tiny umbrealla select it (top left coner) in tiny umbrella and start the TSS SERVER? then conect it to itunes/dfu mode/ and upload the the 5.1.1 firmware which i created in snowbreeze? will it work?

option 2) i can use the latest redsnow and downgrade the ipad baseband 6.15.00 to 'normal basband' then try installing the 5.1.1 custom firmware?(which i created through snowbreeze) once i did try downgrading iphone 3gs which was my mate phone, baseband on 6.15.00 it wouldnt downgrade,,, as iphone 3g worked very well (downgrading 6.15.00 to normal baseband worked very well)

oprion 3) due to getting this error on itunes 3194 is it because am using a (snowbreeze) 5.1.1 custom firmware whereas this firmware was created by a different iphone 3gs handset?

PLease help me and let me know thank you for your help.

Put the device into Pwned DFU, connect to the TSS Servers in TinyUmbrella, and use the RedSn0w Restore function. You don't really need to create a custom firmware since the Restore function in RedSn0w has the option to let you choose your blobs based on the iOS IPSW you've selected. So if you're trying to get to iOS 5.1.1, just go to Extras > Even More > Restore, point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW, retrieve blobs either locally on your computer or off of Cydia's server, and wait for the magic to happen.

Thanks people i will try this and let you know

just need to know even my iphone 3gs which is on 4.1 and has ipad baseband 6.15.00, if i use latest redsow and use extras/Even More > Restore, and get the shsh from my pc.. will it give me error due to baseband been changed?

You might. There are some cases where there aren't any conflicts and some instances where there are conflicts. You can downgrade your baseband now, and after the iOS upgrade, just flash the iPad baseband again. To be on the safe side, downgrade the baseband to avoid any -1 errors.

Hi, i will be trying to do this phone tomorow since ive forgot to bring it back its at my girlfriends house, but before i tryed downgrading baseband (iphone 3gs) with latest redsnow for some how ive notice for iphone 3gs it doesnt work, but for iphone 3g (downgrade baseband) works very well. also ive checked this iphone 3gs is safe to change baseband etc due to its an older model of 3gs, whereas new model iphone 3gs they just got bricked.

what il do, il first do what you told me, il use the latest redsnow and go to extras> Even More > Restore, point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW, retrieve blobs either locally on your computer or off of Cydia's server... and see what happens, if i get some error eg couldnt restore/mismatch app ticket, that error is ok i can get the phone on dfu mode start again and it will work... but am in fear if it comes with different error, and cant seem to downgrade baseband then boss? need your help please...

also thanks for reply, this site is really helpfull thanks to people like yourself... keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Hi i have the phone with me, do i first use the latest redsnow to downgrade the ipad baseband... and then follow in which you have told me, and put the phone in dfu mode/ then connect to tiny umbrella...? will it connect with tiny umbrella if the phone is first in dfu mode? also is on 4.1 and i have saved 5.1.1 and in tiny umbrella the box for 'request SHSH from cydia' is checked is that ok?

I didnt use tinyumbrella for restore with redsnow. Just redsnow.
As it was said, downgrade bb first to avoid error, then do restore and flash to ipad bb, i belive that after that you can again do downgradez

Last edited:
You don't exactly need TinyUmbrella for anything other than to start the TSS Servers. If you're trying to get blobs, you can use the ECID of your iPhone to retrieve them from Cydia. Go to the "Generals" tab in TinyUmbrella, and see if you see the 5.1.1 SHSH blobs saved. But yeah, you use the latest version of RedSn0w to downgrade first.

am stuck need help please

Last edited:
Hi yes in tiny umbrella in the general tab i see 5.1.1 for this iphone 3gs is saved. i manage to to downgrade my iphone 3gs baseband from 6.15.00 to 05.13.04 (thank you guys) am stuck at the moment and need yur help please,
now using latest redsnow 0.9.15b3... i first did, connect the iphone to tiny umbrella/ started tss server/ ive notice 'request SHSH from cydia' is checked . i got the iphone on dfu mode/i used the latest redsnow, went to Extras > Even More > Restore, point it to the iOS 5.1.1 ipsw then its asking me..... 'redsnow can modify this ipsw during the restore to prevent the baseband from being updated' ? so i press no, (due to am sure i can jailbreak and unlock iphone 3gs on 5.1.1), i then get a message saying....
'WARNING, if you continue, your iphone 3gs baseband will proberly be updated if you rely on an offical unlock like ultrasnow, this will probably cause you to lose it, sam unlocks of specific sims should not be affected'.

i then press YES, message comes with ' couldnt restore 'mismatched Apticket' and the iphone is stuck on tool bar and apple logo , so i get the phone on dfu mode/ select ipsw 5.1.1 firmware again, the process starts and gets to ibec etc then i get a message saying ' found device in dfu mode instaed of recovery mode.?

any help people on where am going wrong (need to update 4.1 to 5.1.1)

Let it update your baseband. It doesn't matter since you can downgrade it anyways as long as it's not a flashed iPad baseband. Select "Yes" for both. On the 3GS since it's unlimited in possibilities for downgrading iOS and baseband, just let it update and downgrade it back again later, or, you can flash it with the iPad baseband again and either unlock it on the iPad baseband or downgrade to 05.16 baseband.

Hey ive just managed to do my iphone 3gs from 4.1 to 5.1.1, this time i did,

i didnt use tiny umbrella, i used redsnow 0.9.15b3, put iphone on dfu mode/ went to extras, even more/restore/selecet ipsw 5.1.1 select yes to update baseband, and it worked very well.. i didnt have to start tss server, am so happy it worked thank you so much... just wanted to know not starting my tss server in tiny umbrella, how cum i manage to update it to 5.1.1.? and the baseband is on 05.13.04

The TSS Server was just optional. It's used for custom firmwares, leaning more towards downgrading rather than upgrading, but it was just a bonus to the procedure. You can jailbreak it now and unlock using UltraSn0w from Cydia on 05.13.04. You can upgrade to the 05.16.01 baseband but that's optional. Either basebands are unlockable using UltraSn0w