What's new

Jb for 4.2.8 ahhhh!!! Help!!

Verizon dude

Reaction score
ok.. so excuse me if i sound a little pissed off, but im stuck on the goddarn ERROR 1013, and dont tell me to delete that stupid host file, cos i did. maybe i deleted the wrong thing? there were two lines that i deleted.. those two lines had this on them

'#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com'

.. let me restart my whole thing. ok so i wanted to jb my new white i4, so i googled and saw snowstream or whatever, so i downloaded it, read instructions and comments, and saw it worked. so i downloaded the 4.2.8 ipsw, and custom did it for snowbreeze, and got a custom ipsw, went on itunes and put my phone on dfu mode first, error 3194, so i googled and it said dl tiny umbrella, so i did, and click start. than it said error 1600, and now i was gettin irritated, so i googled that, found out. everytime i have an 'error' i have to restart my comp and put my phone into dfu mode thru 'ireb'. so anyways, after all that crap, i get error 1013. and now i find out that i gotta edit the host folder thru notepad, and I DID, however it still says error 1013 when its almost towards the end when itunes says verifying copying firmware or whatever. tried all sorts of stuff. IM SO MAD.

any ideas from anyone that successfully jailbroke with 4.2.8? my baseband is 1.0.06 if that helps..

do i have to type somethin in hosts file or just deleting is fine?

Use a different computer. Mine was stopping and the same place your did and i had to switch comps.

thanks bro, ill def give it a shot when i get home.. but when i use a diff computer, should i change the hosts and all that crap again? or no?

..and to add to the scenario.. my phone was stuck in goddam DFU MODE, and just wouldnt budge, so i had to use the ipsw file tht i downloaded (non jailbroken one) to restore, and it restored fine, how the fudge does itunes restore the original ipsw with no errors but gives me an error over a snowbreezed one? sometimes apple pisses me the f off.

Ha anybody got the jb for 4.2.8 to work. I have not upgraded as I'm waiting to make sure the jb works first.

I too experienced the exact same problem. Received same error messages and deleted entries in host file. I could never get custom 4.2.8 to go thru all the way during installation. I was able to install normal 4.2.8 and custom 4.2.7. For now, went back to custom 4.2.7.

Last edited:
Plug the phone in. Download the 4.2.8 file from iTunes (click update or restore). Enable viewing of all files and folders. Go to your personal folder then app data then roaming then apple, iTunes, software updates and copy 4.2.8 restore to your desktop (right click and copy then paste to desktop) download the newest sn0wbreeze and jailbreak. Voila.

ya i can't get 4.2.8 jailbreak to work....My salition worked with 4.2.7 so I assumed it would work for 4.2.8 but i was wrong...I had same issue so i have to remain unjailbroken now...

Verzion Dude: I was able to jailbreak successfully after several failed attempts. I kept on receiving error codes 3194 and 1013 like you.

1) Get the latest version of snowbreeze, 2.7.1.
2) Download the 2.3.8 update file within iTunes and use this for your file in snowbreeze. The file will be saved in "C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates". XXXX is your profile on the computer.
3) I used tinyumbrella to save my SSHs and there is a reported issues involving tinyumbrella and jailbreaking 4.2.7 and 4.2.8. I had to go into advanced tab and unselect the box which says "Set hosts to Cydia on exit". Have to restart PC afterwards.

After doing steps 1 -3, was able to jailbreak with no error messages.

Step 3 may have been the reason why I couldn't jailbreak.

Last edited:
well i tried usin my friends laptop.. and it still sent 1013 error.. wth

I just got mine to work after like 4 hours of trying. Make sure you use the dfu mode in sn0wbreeze NOT ireb. And make sure you took the apple out of hosts file.

I need to know what's so good about the 4.2.8 update? I'm still on 4.2.6 and I'm jailbroken through greenpoisi0n. I really don't want to go through the jailbreaking process again for a update thats not a big deal , so can anyone tell me what this update does?

I need to know what's so good about the 4.2.8 update? I'm still on 4.2.6 and I'm jailbroken through greenpoisi0n. I really don't want to go through the jailbreaking process again for a update thats not a big deal , so can anyone tell me what this update does?

not enough to bother with it says me :p

i didnt update to 4.2.8.. thats how my new white i4 came with. i have an old black i4, which was jb with 4.2.6 but im stuck with the white one and goddam error 1013, hold on.. im gonna try 1 more time..