What's new

Worth 7+ Months of Electricity

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I was sitting at my desk thinking about the opportunity cost of these phones that cost roughly $1K, and I realised with that amount of money, I could pay my monthly electric bill for 7+ months. I could pay my water bill for 15+ months. I do not drive very much anymore, so $1K would purchase enough petrol for my old motor for about 15+ months, and it would purchase my dog's premium kibble for 15+ months as well.

$1K would pay for the maintenance chap to weed and feed my lawn for 4 years. It would of course pay for a substantial mechanic's repair bill on my old motor. It is 1/3 the cost of a brand new, highly quality 2 ton HVAC system that is xpected to last about 20 years. Including cut and gratuity, it would pay for my hair to be cut 40 times. If I were interested in cinema, it would pay for a matinee seat to see 142+ films. It would pay for 4 or 5 nights stay at a good hotel in Manhattan. I do not travel anymore, but I am sure it would pay round trip airfare to new York at least 3 times if you planned ahead for a good rate.

Well, you get the idea what is the opportunity cost for something that will be mostly obsolete 5-6 years after it was manufactured. It is crazy. Is it just me???

I never said that. My point was the price is insane. I like the iPhone, but these phones are obviously marketed either to people who are wealthy enough not to think about everyday expenses and to folks who will not think of everyday expenses whether they need to do or not, i.e. the irresponsible.

I expect part of the very high price of these phones is the camera(s), and a lot of folks really do not care that much about the camera(s). Personally, cameras are not that big of an issue for me.

I have been looking over the specs for the 11, and in my opinion, this phone is all about the camera. If you are really into taking photos and videos, then this could be a really appealing phone, but if you are not especially into photography, I do not it is worth spend $1K + on a phone like this. If I were to spend that much or a bit more on something, I would rather update my MacBook Air.

I have been looking over the specs for the 11, and in my opinion, this phone is all about the camera. If you are really into taking photos and videos, then this could be a really appealing phone, but if you are not especially into photography, I do not it is worth spend $1K + on a phone like this. If I were to spend that much or a bit more on something, I would rather update my MacBook Air.
Yes, it's a rather expensive smartphone. Agreed.
However, that's market forces for you.
iPhones have arguably attained premium product status.

They truly cannot be compared to a standard run of the mill cheap Android handset. I should know, as I'm typing this on a ÂŁ100 cheap Android handset right now. It's painful to use, compared to an iPhone. The screen resolution is rubbish in comparison to an iPhone of similar vintage.
It's a Nuu M phone or something.
I keep an Android handset so as to stay in touch with the Android side of work, but I do prefer Apple!

I'm hoping to upgrade my existing iPhone 6s plus 128GB (Xmas 2015) to an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB. The price is eye watering but I'm trying to convince myself that I deserve it!

The Nuu M 4G Android phone is my 3rd handset, as I also have two iPhones and an iPad mini 4 128GB.

Today I'm playing with the Android handset. It's very basic tat with no spectacular redeeming features. It does NOT bring me great joy. It just.....exists!

I know my next iPhone will knock my socks off, just like my Apple Watch 4 did in January this year [emoji4]

I could sit here and pick apart $1,000+ all day on what I could use the extra money for other than a smartphone. Some have more "pocket change" than others. I've had several different hobbies over the years and a set of expensive Custom Golf Clubs that are sitting in my garage not being used, my Custom built Radio Control Cars/Trucks in the 80's was even more expensive way back then not to mention how much I've spent on other hobbies over the years where $1,000+ isn't that much in comparison. Take care of your responsibilities and ENJOY life, you only live once and can't take it with you. Bottom line if you can't afford it, don't buy it (I keep telling myself that anyway...LOL).

Data_, I hope you get the mobile of your dreams!

I feel prices have gotten out of hand with iPhones, but at the same time, I would not want to go back to Android. I like my devices to sync, and Apple support is great. Next up for me is either an upgrade on my MacBook Air or my first iPad. Not sure which yet. Probably will wait one more year to purchase until I pay off this mobile. :D

Last edited:
Man I broke down today and ended up with 2 new 11 pro maxes. One for me and one for my son. It case ans screen protector for both! No more phones for a long time LOL!! This thing is amazing. My 7 plus speakers were on the out and I couldn’t hear much of anything out of them even after a good cleaning with some 91% isopropyl alcohol. Missing calls and messages as well due to no volume. I’ll say this phone has plenty of volume and has no problem being heard! Glad I got it. It’s the midnight green 512gb one. Plenty of storage and it’s pretty fast as well. Again I am glad I got them. Enjoying the new cameras and other stuff.

Me too! I spent a small fortune for 2 of them, the 512gb ones. With cases and screen protectors. It hurt to sign off for them LOL! But I am thoroughly happy with it so far. The camera is just amazing!! And it’s loud as far as the speakers are concerned! Anyhow thanks for the likes!! Hope all is well with everyone and to all a wonderful day!!!!

I am still using my iphone 6+. Works great and I do not need the camera updated. Looked at the new iPhones coming out, decided I could wait another year so bought a new MacAir when Best Buy had a brief sale in June. I expect to keep the Mac 5-7 yrs or more given the time frame of previous laptops I have owned. While I agree that the price of the Apple products is high, a friend has gone through 3 Androids while I have had my iPhone and they do not keep getting security updates. So she has spent more on cell phones than I have. You have to decide what you need and weigh the long and short term costs. Others have different needs than I do.