Worth 7+ Months of Electricity

Discussion in 'iPhone 11' started by HunnieBunnie, Oct 8, 2019.

1. HunnieBunnie

HunnieBunnie Active Member

I was sitting at my desk thinking about the opportunity cost of these phones that cost roughly $1K, and I realised with that amount of money, I could pay my monthly electric bill for 7+ months. I could pay my water bill for 15+ months. I do not drive very much anymore, so $1K would purchase enough petrol for my old motor for about 15+ months, and it would purchase my dog's premium kibble for 15+ months as well.

$1K would pay for the maintenance chap to weed and feed my lawn for 4 years. It would of course pay for a substantial mechanic's repair bill on my old motor. It is 1/3 the cost of a brand new, highly quality 2 ton HVAC system that is xpected to last about 20 years. Including cut and gratuity, it would pay for my hair to be cut 40 times. If I were interested in cinema, it would pay for a matinee seat to see 142+ films. It would pay for 4 or 5 nights stay at a good hotel in Manhattan. I do not travel anymore, but I am sure it would pay round trip airfare to new York at least 3 times if you planned ahead for a good rate.

Well, you get the idea what is the opportunity cost for something that will be mostly obsolete 5-6 years after it was manufactured. It is crazy. Is it just me???

• Like Like x 1
  2. HunnieBunnie

I never said that. My point was the price is insane. I like the iPhone, but these phones are obviously marketed either to people who are wealthy enough not to think about everyday expenses and to folks who will not think of everyday expenses whether they need to do or not, i.e. the irresponsible.

I expect part of the very high price of these phones is the camera(s), and a lot of folks really do not care that much about the camera(s). Personally, cameras are not that big of an issue for me.

3. HunnieBunnie

I have been looking over the specs for the 11, and in my opinion, this phone is all about the camera. If you are really into taking photos and videos, then this could be a really appealing phone, but if you are not especially into photography, I do not it is worth spend $1K + on a phone like this. If I were to spend that much or a bit more on something, I would rather update my MacBook Air.