What's new

Wireless hard drive options. Apple?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a wireless hard drive but I always look to Apple for products before buying anything. I was looking at the Airport Time Capsule but was told that it doesn't work with the iPad or iPhone. Does Apple make a wireless hard drive for the iPad and iPhone? I know I can upload files to the various online file storage companies but I'd like something that has more storage and doesn't require a monthly fee. What are my options?

I would like to purchase a wireless hard drive but I always look to Apple for products before buying anything. I was looking at the Airport Time Capsule but was told that it doesn't work with the iPad or iPhone. Does Apple make a wireless hard drive for the iPad and iPhone? I know I can upload files to the various online file storage companies but I'd like something that has more storage and doesn't require a monthly fee. What are my options?

According to Apple it will work with Macs and iOS devices, including iPads and iPhones. http://www.apple.com/ca/airport-time-capsule/

According to Apple it will work with Macs and iOS devices, including iPads and iPhones. Apple (Canada) - Mac - AirPort Time Capsule
My friend, who has been with Apple for years, says you can control the Time Capsule from the iPad or iPhone but you cannot store any files on it from these devices. I'm going to have to research just how far the "compatibility" goes for iOS devices.

Sadly, there are no local network storage solutions for iOS.

And the remote based ones (DropBox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, Box, CCloud) all have limited feature sets due to Apple restrictions.

Seagate have a wifi drive 500 gb and 1tb that allow transfer of data both directions. The drive has a 8 hour battery life and also can support streaming to multiple iOS devises at the same time. It is iPad for back up and or storage of movies Picts or documents. Look at iPAD Connect for information on both NAS drives and Portable wifi drives.

Cheers. Colin

Seagate have a wifi drive 500 gb and 1tb that allow transfer of data both directions. The drive has a 8 hour battery life and also can support streaming to multiple iOS devises at the same time. It is iPad for back up and or storage of movies Picts or documents. Look at iPAD Connect for information on both NAS drives and Portable wifi drives.

Cheers. Colin

Thankl you, sir :)

Thanks to the iPad Connect forum, I just found the Apotop Wi-Reader Pro on amazon, added it to my wish list. After reading about it I've realized that it does much more than I thought it did.

Seagate wireless plus 1T hard drive. The best for me and my family. Multiple devices can connect at once and I don't have to wait for my turn to open my files.

Yes, that is another good storage option for iOS. I was unaware of the existence of these devices and I'm so happy to learn new things here :)

Just in the other post I saw someone talk about time capsule I think it will be of great help to you as well.

Just in the other post I saw someone talk about time capsule I think it will be of great help to you as well.

You cannot copy files to and from Airport Time Capsule from an iOS device. Airport Time Capsule is for backing up OS X devices.