What's new

wifi question

Vett

Reaction score
I have an iphone 6 and an ipad4 when I go upstairs my ipad gets full wifi but my iphone gets maybe 1 bar of wifi and sometimes no wifi at all, any ideas?

Some routers broadcast on two different frequencies - 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. 2.4 has better range but less bandwidth and is subject to more interference than 5.0. Is it possible that you're connecting to two different frequencies on the two devices? Often the router SSID will give you an indication of which frequency you're connecting to. If not, check your router settings to see if the router is broadcasting on both frequencies, and consider renaming them so that you can tell which you're connecting to. Example: "Vett 2.4" and "Vett 5.0". If streaming speed isn't an issue, choose 2.4GHz for better range.

My pad was on 2.4 and phone on 5.0 so I changed the phone to 2.4 still no difference

Maybe the phone just doesn’t have as good of a WiFi in it than the iPad? Does the WiFi still work on the phone even though it shows only one or no bars? I’m kind of at a loss. Maybe someone else will have an idea. I suppose you could try a network reset on the phone. You’ll have to re-enter network settings though. I’d first try just a hard reset.

It works with one bar but very slow no bars no wifi I have to go to settings and turn it on again

Have you tried resetting the router? Sometimes this will fix the problem when a device has trouble connecting or receives a weak signal. It's fairly common for some devices to have problems connecting fully when other devices have no problems.