What's new

Erratic iPhone 6 wifi behaviour

charlie_bryson

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry to post this in two places but i'm getting pretty desperate here and the apple forums are like a ghost town!

I am having some very strange wifi issues with my iPhone 6 iOS 10.2 (issues have existed on previous iOS versions)

My phone seems to have a mind of it's own when it comes to connecting to wifi. I have listed the multitude of issues below. I should also point out that I have reset my network settings and factory restored the iPhone both having absolutely no effect on the problem! Interestingly the only thing that has worked thus far is setting my phone up as a new phone after doing a factory reset, but if I restore my settings from iCloud the problem returns. So i guess we can rule out the problem being the physical phone itself.

THE ISSUES:

-Wi-Fi in settings will turn off on it’s own when phone is locked, but control panel still shows wifi as being on.

-Even if wifi is on in control panel. It will be off in settings.

-When wifi is initially turned back on in settings it does not display a list of networks available unless you go out of the wifi settings and then back into them and even then it is unusual for there to be any available networks displayed.

-Looking at the main settings page, the wifi section will display a network name as if it is connected to it, but it is not. There is no wifi status bars at the top left of the screen.

-Then when you go into wifi settings a grey spinning wheel is just displayed next to the network it is trying to connect too

-On the off chance the phone can get onto a network it will often not display the wifi status bars on the top left of the screen, but pages and messages will still load.

-If i go to the wifi page in settings, turn the wifi off and then flick up the control panel the wifi is still shown as being on. I then turn it off in the control panel and the button greys out for about 30 seconds before i can turn it back on again.

Thanks for reading this guys and I hope someone can help diagnose this problem.

Thanks!

Don't know if this will help but have you tried just resetting your router? To make sure it's getting a signal.
For me there was a button at the back, just pressed an kept it in for a few seconds.

My jump to conclusion is that you have a setting awry somewhere. If you don't have a problem after restoring, but the problem returns after restoring from a backup, I'd suggest that the problem is with the backup.

I'd suggest restoring from the backup, then restoring network settings: Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. You'll lose your saved network passwords but you should also lose the problem.

As @brixtonboy suggests, it would be a good time to reset other network components; routers and modems at the same time

Hi All,

I am having some very strange wifi issues with my iPhone 6 iOS 10.2 (problems have existed on previous iOS versions)

My phone seems to have a mind of it's own when it comes to connecting to wifi. I have listed the multitude of issues below. I should also point out that I have reset my network settings and factory restored the iPhone both having absolutely no effect on the problem! Interestingly the only thing that has worked thus far is setting my phone up as a new phone after doing a factory reset, but if I restore my settings from iCloud the problem returns. So i guess we can rule out the problem being the physical phone itself.

THE ISSUES:

-Wi-Fi in settings will turn off on it’s own when phone is locked, but control panel still shows wifi as being on.

-Even if wifi is on in control panel. It will be off in settings.

-When wifi is initially turned back on in settings it does not display a list of networks available unless you go out of the wifi settings and then back into them and even then it is unusual for there to be any available networks displayed.

-Looking at the main settings page, the wifi section will display a network name as if it is connected to it, but it is not. There is no wifi status bars at the top left of the screen.

-Then when you go into wifi settings a grey spinning wheel is just displayed next to the network it is trying to connect too

-On the off chance the phone can get onto a network it will often not display the wifi status bars on the top left of the screen, but pages and messages will still load.

-If i go to the wifi page in settings, turn the wifi off and then flick up the control panel the wifi is still shown as being on. I then turn it off in the control panel and the button greys out for about 30 seconds before i can turn it back on again.

Thanks for reading this guys and I hope someone can help diagnose this problem.

Thanks!

I had this problem on my 4S when IOS 8 was first released a while ago. The temporary fix was overheating the phone and letting it sit for a few minutes. The wifi would work soon after but for only a few minutes. I'm sharing this as a last resort, however, what I would first try is to go into settings>general>reset> reset network settings and try it then. If that still doesn't work, do a full restore and set the phone up as new. Not restoring from a back up. Then if your A) out of warranty, and B) you're extremely bored. and only then, would I go through over heating the phone.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. The router is definitely not the problem as I have tried it on many different networks with the same results. I travel a lot for work and have the same problem at every single hotel i stay in :(

As for the resetting the network settings I have just tried this again with no change.

If I reset all settings I can still get my phone back to it's current state in terms of music and pictures on it right? It just takes a bit more time to do it all individually rather than restoring it from iCloud?

Thanks.

Based on what you said in your first post it looks like the only thing you can do is restore your iphone and set it up as a new phone. It appears that something on your iPhone that's included in the backup is causing your problem.

Before you take that step, though, you may want to take your iPhone to an Apple Store for a full diagnostic at the Genius Bar.

Just to say l'm no expert ok. Could this be a problem related to an app, did this strange stuff start happening after you installed one. Unlikely l know but!!!!! If you restored from your backup you put the problem back in your handy

Based on what you said in your first post it looks like the only thing you can do is restore your iphone and set it up as a new phone. It appears that something on your iPhone that's included in the backup is causing your problem.

Before you take that step, though, you may want to take your iPhone to an Apple Store for a full diagnostic at the Genius Bar.

Hope he gives up some feedback when this is sorted.
I was thinking of backing up to the P C or whatever then setting up a new handy. With just the Apple stuff and Wifi on it. If it doesn't work then well the handy must be kaputt.
But all the photos etc are safe in the backup.

Then for me would be an appointment and a 2 hour drive and stress. Don't know if you can send your handy in to them?

Hope he gives up some feedback when this is sorted.
I was thinking of backing up to the P C or whatever then setting up a new handy. With just the Apple stuff and Wifi on it. If it doesn't work then well the handy must be kaputt.
But all the photos etc are safe in the backup.

Then for me would be an appointment and a 2 hour drive and stress. Don't know if you can send your handy in to them?
That depends. Austria doesn't have an Apple Retail Store, so I have to send my devices to Apple.