What's new

wifi got dc when iphone sleeps

That is spot on. I should have stated there is a minimum timeout as well as the maximum timeout. I think I remember reading the minimum is around one minute, but don't hold me to that since I am old and have a feeble memory (based on the fact I forgot to state a minimum to begin with).

OK, but I just got one question. HUH?

You are saying that when you are on wifi and the phone sleeps it has a minimum time out when it's back on LTE even though you just left wifi, then goes back to wifi, then times out and goes back to LTE?

That don't make no sense son.

And just to make sure, I actually used wifi, let it sleep this time for about 10 minutes and then went back to it and it was on LTE until I swiped it. Lucy, you got some splaining to do.

OK, but I just got one question. HUH?

You are saying that when you are on wifi and the phone sleeps it has a minimum time out when it's back on LTE even though you just left wifi, then goes back to wifi, then times out and goes back to LTE?

That don't make no sense son.

Ok, off the top of my head based on my reading of the iOS 5.x SDK, from last year, on WiFi connections. And remember, I have slept a few times since I read this very dry material.

If there is a background connection to WiFi when the iOS device goes to sleep, the WiFi connection will be allowed to continue for up to 30 minutes before it is automatically closed and WiFi is turned off.

If there is no background connection to WiFi when the iOS device goes to sleep, WiFi will be turned off (after a short time delay).

If there is an event while the iOS device is asleep, IE Home Button, Standby Button or Notification, WiFi will turn back on for duration of the communication and then start the timer over based on the above two conditions if the phone is put back into Sleep mode.

If the iOS device does NOT have a cellular radio OR the cellular radio is turned off, WiFi stays on at all times.

The only thing I can't remember is whether or not WiFi follows the above rules while the phone is asleep but is still charging.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but I just don't see the point of it doing that period. It's not a major deal for sure, just seems to me that it ought to stay on wifi unless you disconnect it from wifi.

That's my opinion, YMMV and probably will.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but I just don't see the point of it doing that period. It's not a major deal for sure, just seems to me that it ought to stay on wifi unless you disconnect it from wifi.

That's my opinion, YMMV and probably will.

There is technically a reason for it. A WiFi connection, even in "standby" mode, uses power. Since the notification system can use the 3G connection, and you have to have the Cellular radio on anyways because of SMS/MMS and calls, why have two radios on unless you need it?

Hell the only reason they have WiFi in an LTE phone is because WiFi uses way less (more than 26% less last time I checked it) power than a cellular radio for the same activity.

Does it matter what it's called? That's what most on this forum call it. ^semantics lesson from someone with poor English? :p

You would do well to investigate the background of Skull One on this forum and be thankful for the help! :)

Have a good day!

ya matters a lot cause it didnt helped me out :p LOL

then why would i say thanks for no reason ?

ya thanks all for replying and for giving your precious moments :)

ya matters a lot cause it didnt helped me out :p LOL

then why would i say thanks for no reason ?

ya thanks all for replying and for giving your precious moments :)

Good responses actually. And since I only speak one language my hats off to you for being able to speak two. Unless of course English is the only one you do speak and you can't speak that well. :)