What's new

WiFi goes off when phone is sleeping?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Is this normal? Every time I wake my phone up the WiFi is off and takes a little while to reconnect. So in areas where I have no cell signal and am relying on WiFi like when I'm at work I get very delayed notifications and emails etc as my WiFi is seemingly off whenever the phone is asleep, which is obviously pretty much all the time. [emoji55] This only seems to be happening when the phone is not plugged in to a power source, WiFi seems to stay active then, but I can't keep it plugged in 24/7 [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Is this normal? Every time I wake my phone up the WiFi is off and takes a little while to reconnect. So in areas where I have no cell signal and am relying on WiFi like when I'm at work I get very delayed notifications and emails etc as my WiFi is seemingly off whenever the phone is asleep, which is obviously pretty much all the time. [emoji55] This only seems to be happening when the phone is not plugged in to a power source, WiFi seems to stay active then, but I can't keep it plugged in 24/7 [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone
That's the way it supposed to act when the iphone goes to sleep when not plugged into a charger. It's designed to conserve battery power as keeping WiFi on continuously when the iPhone goes to sleep can quickly drain the battery. If you have your iPhone set to fetch email, messages, etc. on a regular basis the phone will wake up long enough to establish the WiFi connection and receive the notifications and email plus whatever else is being fetched then go back to sleep.

That's the way it supposed to act when the iphone goes to sleep when not plugged into a charger. It's designed to conserve battery power as keeping WiFi on continuously when the iPhone goes to sleep can quickly drain the battery. If you have your iPhone set to fetch email, messages, etc. on a regular basis the phone will wake up long enough to establish the WiFi connection and receive the notifications and email plus whatever else is being fetched then go back to sleep.
Hmm well that kinda sucks as my last phone would just stay on. Will go through my notification settings then and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone

Hmm well that kinda sucks as my last phone would just stay on. Will go through my notification settings then and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone
You can go into Settings>General>Auto-Lock>Never and your iPhone won't go to sleep, but at the expense of greatly increased battery drain.

You can go into Settings>General>Auto-Lock>Never and your iPhone won't go to sleep, but at the expense of greatly increased battery drain.
Yeah that's no good. Maybe I'm getting delayed emails because I'm using a Gmail account with the IOS Mail and the only option I have for getting mail is FETCH, there is no PUSH option?

Sent from my iPhone

You should be able to go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data and turn on the Push switch. I've never used this so I don't know if it will work. The only account I currently have that includes a built in push option is my iCloud mail account.

You should be able to go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data and turn on the Push switch. I've never used this so I don't know if it will work. The only account I currently have that includes a built in push option is my iCloud mail account.
PUSH is not an option for gmail as apparently Google only allow push through their own app. So I guess I either have to put up with emails only coming every 15mins or switch to the gmail app.

Sent from my iPhone