What's new

WiFI cutout

Iphone-4

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my WIFI keeps turning off? The signal will be there, but when you click on it it says unable to join network. My wife's phone does the same thing. My laptop however will still be connected to my WIFI, so it is something with the phones. I have tried resetting network, soft reset, hard reset, airplane mode off then on. I am at a loss of what it can be. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem. Not sure if it is a problem, it may be a feature. If I am on wifi and keep using it, no problem, but if there is no wifi activities for a while (I have not tested how long), it dropped out although the wifi icon still shows it is on. I have to turn wifi off and then on to use it again.

No wi-fi problems on my two iPhone 4s. They always use wi-fi when not in sleep mode and they always come on automatically when I come out of sleep mode ("Slide To Unlock") I have a Linksys wireless router, WRT54GS, and all works well. Personally, I don't think your problem is in the iPhone, but I may be wrong. (That helps, doesn't it!!)

There is alot of issues with the latest update (4.2.1) regarding wifi. So if that's the version you on that could be the problem. It was supposed to be all sorted, the reason why 4.2 was never released to the public but some users are still reporting problems.

Try conecting to a friends house or a free hotspot such as in mcdonalds or something. If that works it could be your router doesn't work correctly with the phone. My router is a pain to connect to a laptop running vista for example but XP isn't a problem.

I would try a restore as a last resort, if that doesn't work then contact apple...

*edit* Forgot to say, I just got a iPod touch 4G today. It's on 4.2.1 and wifi works fine...

Last edited:
Try to select "Auto" at HTTP Proxy. Mine gets and stays connected to my wireless router at home all the time as soon as I am in the vicinity.

Thanks Eveyone. I'll try these things and see what happens.