What's new

iphone 4 wi-fi problem

ip4user

Reaction score
I have no problem connecting my home wifi, but I cannot browse using my office wifi. My iphone4 connects to my office wifi, it shows all the DNS, Router settings but safari will say could not connect to the server. I tried all the options, including reset networks, reset phone, airplane mode and open DNS numbers, but no luck yet.

Anybody got a different idea? appreciate your help
smiley.gif

Thanks,

You made need to authenticate to the domain to get Internet at your workplace. I have this problem too.

I get around it by sharing my wireless on my laptop using ICS in Windows. I connect to the network created on the laptop and can access the web through there.

I'm not sure if it is a wifi repeater or not.

If I need to authenticate, I shouldn't be able to connect to the network, right? I think there is no authentication required, as other users just get connected to it and get internet without any trouble.

I liked the other idea too, sharing wireless through your laptop, but unfortunately I do not have a laptop at work. I may buy a cheap usb to wi-fi adapter but do not want to get troubles at work with that.

Appreciate your help guys, but I donno if I can get my phone to connect to internet at work using wi-fi.

Thanks,

If I need to authenticate, I shouldn't be able to connect to the network, right? I think there is no authentication required, as other users just get connected to it and get internet without any trouble.

If there was no authentication required the network would be open to the public, which means anyone walking by could use it. Your network guys wouldnt have that.

Not being able to use Internet or browse network without being authenticated is what a company wants.

I may buy a cheap usb to wi-fi adapter but do not want to get troubles at work with that.

You could always ask your IT guys about your problem. When I asked mine I got the answer above.

You have to be sneaky about it. You have a number of options. Create a wifi network that doesnt broadcast the name so anyone scanning wont see "CraigWifi" for example. Or what I do for ease is call it something related to a nearby store.

Enable security on whatever you create so anyone trying to connect needs a password.

I recommend you ask your IT guys first.

If there was no authentication required the network would be open to the public, which means anyone walking by could use it. Your network guys wouldnt have that.

Not being able to use Internet or browse network without being authenticated is what a company wants.

I may buy a cheap usb to wi-fi adapter but do not want to get troubles at work with that.

You could always ask your IT guys about your problem. When I asked mine I got the answer above.

You have to be sneaky about it. You have a number of options. Create a wifi network that doesnt broadcast the name so anyone scanning wont see "CraigWifi" for example. Or what I do for ease is call it something related to a nearby store.

Enable security on whatever you create so anyone trying to connect needs a password.

I recommend you ask your IT guys first.

Thanks for your ideas, I checked it again, it doesn't ask for any password, just connects to the network. I also found that bberry & evo4g worked without any problem, but not my iphone.
I donno whats blocking just my phone or i'm missing any settings.
also asked my IT guys, but not helpful, they just did what i did...

I like the other idea of setting up a new wi-fi broadcasting using computer settings, I may try that, but need to buy a usb - wireless adapter first.

Thanks,