What's new

Wifi conundrum

Silverado8405

Reaction score
Interesting problem that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Recently (as in the last couple of weeks) my phone has been connecting to my router as an unknown device. Now this wouldn't be a problem except it drags down the Internet speed when this happens. I have WPA2 as my security and never have problems connecting to the router, just problems connecting correctly. This happens maybe once every week and a half or so and is fixed 100% of the time with a hard reset of the phone, and about a 40% chance of working if I reboot the router. My question really is: is it my phone or my router?

Phone specs: 4s 16 gig running iOS 6 updated OTA instead of restoring.

Router specs: NetGear WNDR3700v3 running firmware V 1.0.0.22_1.0.17

This problem does not seem to be effecting my wife's phone (same specs as mine) however I don't think she would pick up on any problems like this, just thinking that the Internet is slow at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: restored as new phone last night so I'll see if that fixes the issue any.

Just renew the lease in your Wifi settings. Or, forget the network and reconnect to it. Normally that would fix any hardware sided problem.

Tried to no avail. Even went as far as resetting network settings last night and nothing. Wife's phone is flawless as far as I can tell. I had some other issues resulting from my upgrade to iOS 6 so I didn't loose too much sleep over it.

It was always fun playing the guess the keyboard game. I have a German keyboard set for translating German prints at work and at random my phone would show the English keyboard but type German. Hopefully the restore solved some of that.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Backup the entirety of your iPhone and restore using iTunes instead of OTA.

Look up two posts. I did that last night and am waiting to see if it happens again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk