What's new

Wifi & Bluetooth disabled in settings. Cannot connect to laptop: error code 43

robert.ayisi

Reaction score
I Cannot connect my iPhone 4S (iOS 7.0.4) to wifi. In fact the wifi and Bluetooth icons in settings are both disabled. Therefore I cannot backup to iCloud. Worse still, I cannot also connect to my laptop (windows 7 64bit) because the laptop "cannot recognise the device error code 43." Therefore the phone cannot be synchronised with or backed up to, the laptop and cannot be backed up to iCloud also.
The problem started before I upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7.

Any help from out there is welcome otherwise I have to dump the phone into a litter bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you googled the error 43 issue? Lots of info and fixes on the possible problem. driver, usb, etc. Also, have you tried a "hard reset" of your phone? Hold the on/off switch and the round home button down at the same time until the apple logo appears. Let go and wait until reboot. Manytimes it fixes little "bugs".

Thanks but I have done all that. I've also googled the error code 43 and tried most of the suggested solutions such as going to device manager and uninstalling and reinstalling but none has worked.

I'd recommend a wipedown of the device and start afresh. If the device was recently purchased and came with iOS 7, a fresh restore wouldn't hurt. If the device underwent a recent iOS upgrade, restore from the latest backup after restoring the device.

The point is: I cannot restore from the last backup since I can neither connect to iTunes via a PC nor to iCloud via wifi. Remember the wifi & Bluetooth icons in settings are also disabled. So if I wipe the phone completely off all data and settings and the problem is not solved in that process, then the phone becomes entirely useless. I will however do that when I've a new 5s to pick all my info from iCloud into it, then wipe data from the 4s off and see what happens.
Thanks but any more ideas are welcome.

I would think you need to resolve the error 43, which I believe denotes a hardware issue, before considering tossing your phone. The phone may be fine and issues solvable once you can connect it to your computer. Do other devices connect without issues?

Yes. Other devices do connect to the PC. In fact the phone cannot connect to any PC. I agree it might be a hardware issue

Yes I've an iPhone 4 & an iPad. Both connect to the PC and wifi. I've the original apple cables. I think it's a hardware issue.

If that's the case, you may have nothing to lose by completely wiping your phone from the settings menu and seeing if that corrects any issues. Unless you opt to take it to get it looked at first. Make sure you have "find my iphone" off.

Hopefully someone else can help! Sorry!

Saw a post on iPad forums that 7.0.4 can "fry" the wireless chip on a 4s. This info supposedly came third or fourth hand from an Apple genius. Supposedly they replaced the phone out of warranty. Take it for what it's worth. It does seem that there have been a lot of wifi difficulties with iOS7.