What's new

Cannot connect laptop to Wifi when setting up iPhone hotspot

jmt356

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my laptop to my iPhone’s Hotspot. I have three options:

1. Connect wirelessly

2. Connect via Bluetooth

3. Connect via the cord

The only way I can successfully connect is by plugging in the cord, which quickly drains my laptop battery.

Attempting to connect wirelessly returns the message: “Cannot connect to this network.”

When I attempt to connect via Bluetooth, Windows returns the message “Cannot find device.”

Why am I unable to connect wirelessly or via Bluetooth?

Who is your cellular provider? I, for instance, can not use the Hotspot function as I am a dinosaur clinging to my AT&T Unlimited data package.
I think for Bluetooth you might need Airdrop.

I use T-Mobile.

I tried on a second laptop that is able to connect to my iPhone's Hotspot. However, while it is connected to the iPhone, it is not connected to the Internet. Internet Explorer cannot display any pages.

I called T-Mobile and they asked for the iPhone’s IMEI and said to restart the phone and try again in 2 hours. I will see if it works and repost if it does not work.

I still cannot connect to my iPhone when the Personal Hotspot is on. My laptop just says that it cannot connect to the signal (I cannot even get to password prompt). It is as though the phone is too far away from the laptop, even though it is right next to it and the laptop registers all 5 bars.

I just tried to connect to the iPhone from another computer. It also did not connect, but i ran the troubleshooter and it found this error: "The default gateway is not available." It fixed this error and now that other computer is connected to the internet.

The problem thus appears to be connected with this particular computer. Is the issue the default gateway? If so, how can I resolve that?

I called my mobile provider and they reset my settings on the phone and also had me forget the network on the problematic computer and reconnect. I can now use the phoen as a personal HotSpot on both of the computers.