What's new

Cannot unlock my 4S after ios 7 update

skallal

Reaction score
I am unable to slide and unlock my iPhone 4S after updating to iOS 7 earlier today. It worked okay for a few hours. Then I got it stuck in Voice Over mode. And now slide to unlock won't work.

I tried restoring from iTunes, but it says I have to disable Find my iPhone on iCloud. Since I cannot unlock the phone to change the setting, I am stuck.

Help....

Perform a DFU restore on the device. After the restore, you should be prompted to enter your Apple ID for the activation process to go through.

I don't think I'm in DFU mode. But I have managed to get iTunes into "iPhone Recovery Mode". The next line says "iTunes is restoring the software on this iPhone." What version is it restoring? 6.x or 7.0?

Also please explain DFU mode...

DFU stands for Device Firmware Update/Upgrade. This is used when (as the name says) upgrading/restoring/updating your device. When iTunes is restoring, at one point, it actually puts it into DFU mode for a few seconds. The purpose of DFU mode is to bypass the iBoot bootloader portion of the restore process, which in turn means that you can bypass some iTunes error that deal with the bootloader.

Well it looks like I was in DFU mode after all. I did manage to get my iPhone 4S back up and running. And it did restore iOS 7 with all of the apps. There's nothing scarier than your iPhone going out right about the time the local Apple store or AT&T store has just closed on a Saturday evening.

I already read one of your posts in this forum about DFU mode on another thread, and was in the process of doing the restore when you responded to my question. What about those people who use the iPhone and never back up to iTunes? They're the ones that would really be dead in the water. I had thoughts in my head of running off to the store and getting the new iPhone, only to realize I would have to buy a 5 and I couldn't get the 5C or the 5S off the shelf. If my for 4S had been truly bricked, those would've been my options, a case of really bad timing in Apple's release cycle. Would've been terrible to have to buy a 5, when the 5 is just about to be scrapped!

And then I realized that I no longer have a landline phone which means I need something like Magic Jack or some VOIP system on my PC to make calls when my mobile phone is out. I was about to try to call a local AT&T store, only to realize that I didn't have a phone. I could've hooked up Skype on my iPad and that would've been my only resort.

Again thanks for the help!

Last edited: