What's new

Wifi and 3G on iphone 4 question

blucente

Reaction score
I Have a question regarding an iPhone 4. Will or can the iPhone automatically use my "home" wifi connection in lue of my 3G connection? I'd like to use my wifi connection at home and not burn up my data plan.

Thanks

As long as the Wifi Auto-Detect is turned on in Settings... you're phone will always connect to previously connected Wifi in leiu of your 3G.

thomasjtsi said:
As long as the Wifi Auto-Detect is turned on in Settings... you're phone will always connect to previously connected Wifi in leiu of your 3G.

Is this a default setting? Thanks for your help

Is this a default setting? Thanks for your help

Yeah, the iPhone is build to operate that way. Go to settings> wifi-ON
Anytime you will be back at home, it will automatically reconnect to your wifi, you really do not need to mind about it once you make sure that wifi is turned ON in settings.

bab2010 said:
Yeah, the iPhone is build to operate that way. Go to settings> wifi-ON
Anytime you will be back at home, it will automatically reconnect to your wifi, you really do not need to mind about it once you make sure that wifi is turned ON in settings.

Ok thanks, I just ordered my daughter here iPhone an soon she'll be up and running, just wanted to make sure she doesn't blow out her data plan. Thanks for the help.

Ok thanks, I just ordered my daughter here iPhone an soon she'll be up and running, just wanted to make sure she doesn't blow out her data plan. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome.

If there is trouble with the wifi, the phone will switch to cellular data. It happened to my wife while she was watching a video and a bunch of MB got downloaded. Also, things can download in the background when the phone is in your pocket - email pushed out to your phone, weather checks, etc. I recommend you turn off cellular data until you choose to use it. In settings, general, network, turn off "cellular data". [iphone 4s, ios5]

I gather older phones didn't have this setting. See discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1606040?start=15&tstart=0

Edit: I got in trouble for that setting, turning off cellular data. When DW turned it back on, it couldn't connect! Suggestions on the net were to reset the cellular settings (in the same screen) and shut off the phone (holding down the button on the top right edge for a few seconds), then on again. That worked. Likely just the restart would have cleared the problem.

Last edited:
If there is trouble with the wifi, the phone will switch to cellular data. It happened to my wife while she was watching a video and a bunch of MB got downloaded. Also, things can download in the background when the phone is in your pocket - email pushed out to your phone, weather checks, etc. I recommend you turn off cellular data until you choose to use it. In settings, general, network, turn off "cellular data". [iphone 4s, ios5]

I gather older phones didn't have this setting. See discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1606040?start=15&tstart=0
the iPhone will not automatically switch to cellular data if there is troubles with the wifi, it will show that the iPhone is well connected to a wifi but will not stream or download a thing since the wifi is having troubles, it will switch from wifi to cellular data only if the iPhone lost the wifi connection (not in wifi range) or if you turn wifi off in setting.

the iPhone will not automatically switch to cellular data if there is troubles with the wifi, it will show that the iPhone is well connected to a wifi but will not stream or download a thing since the wifi is having troubles, it will switch from wifi to cellular data only if the iPhone lost the wifi connection (not in wifi range) or if you turn wifi off in setting.
+1... It will show your Wifi connection in the status bar up top... but won't load anything if there's no internet behind the Wifi connection. Only when you disable Wifi on your iDevice will it begin to use cell data.

Can be a bit confusing but I think I have it set up correctly. I'm going to let here use it this week then check her activity. Right know its set up on my wifi network and instead of 3G showing at the top it has the signal bars while she's at home.

I have to say I'm impressed with the iPhone, I've been an iPad owner, wifi only, for about a year and never really entertained the though of an iPhone, I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

Can be a bit confusing but I think I have it set up correctly. I'm going to let here use it this week then check her activity. Right know its set up on my wifi network and instead of 3G showing at the top it has the signal bars while she's at home. I have to say I'm impressed with the iPhone, I've been an iPad owner, wifi only, for about a year and never really entertained the though of an iPhone, I'm thinking of getting one for myself.
Another little bit of helpful info... to quickly check how much data used/available for that iDevice in the current billing cycle, from the "Phone" keypad dial *DATA# and connect it as you were making a phone call. It will give you a short status message then send you a text shortly after giving the data usage & how much is available.

thomasjtsi said:
Another little bit of helpful info... to quickly check how much data used/available for that iDevice in the current billing cycle, from the "Phone" keypad dial *DATA# and connect it as you were making a phone call. It will give you a short status message then send you a text shortly after giving the data usage & how much is available.

That's right, I forgot all about that! Thank you so much

I'm impressed, too! I ordered a used 3GS for myself yesterday, though I rarely use a cell phone. I was fascinated with Siri until I realized Siri is in California, not in the iPhone, and a considerable flow of data is required to support her work.

As an absolute novice I don't know anything for sure, but my wife, watching the video on wifi, said it just kept going - no messages - when I switched off the wifi router. She also gets a few MB of cellular data on days when she doesn't leave the house. There are numerous reports on the web of cellular data use in the middle of the night for iPhone 4.

I'm not used to the cellular experience. It seems like the telco is lying in wait for us to use more of their product than planned. Its like buying a car and having to specify how many miles will be driven each month; driving extra will be billed at $50 a gallon. You control use, contract way more than you need, or pay the penalty.

Our telco account settings on the web allowed us to set up a warning message when data use approaches the contract limit. There are apps that do the same. But switching off the data use when you won't want it for a few hours gives a very nice sense of control. Kind of like not leaving the keys in the ignition.

Are we ABSOLUTELY sure WiFi will trump 3G? I always switch my 3G off on my 4S to make sure I don't inadvertantly hit my data plan when I am on WiFi. I just use my 3G setting when I can't access a hotspot and at that use it to check email and minor browsing or app use.

Are we ABSOLUTELY sure WiFi will trump 3G? I always switch my 3G off on my 4S to make sure I don't inadvertantly hit my data plan when I am on WiFi. I just use my 3G setting when I can't access a hotspot and at that use it to check email and minor browsing or app use.

I don't know what you are worrying about? Wifi will switch to 3G only when it lost the wifi connection.