What's new

Wi-Fi Sync

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Maybe someone can be so kind to help me out...I have opened the ports, restarted the router, computer, and iPhone but nothing I do seems to allow me to sync my iTunes wirelessly via wi-fi.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stupid question, but have you ticked the box in iTunes
$Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 11.12.57.jpg

Ok, my turn to guess :)

Do you have iCloud syncing turned off? Because if it is on, you can't WiFi sync.

just have it ticked and on the same connection and it should work.. do you have the latest itunes and fw?

Ok, my turn to guess :)

Do you have iCloud syncing turned off? Because if it is on, you can't WiFi sync.

No I have iCloud syncing turned on, however, why would that effect the syncing of my music over WiFi? iCloud does not do anything with the music on my computer? Thanks for the info my friend!

just have it ticked and on the same connection and it should work.. do you have the latest itunes and fw?

Yes sir to both. :) Thanks!

No I have iCloud syncing turned on, however, why would that effect the syncing of my music over WiFi? iCloud does not do anything with the music on my computer? Thanks for the info my friend!

Ok, there are two types of iCloud syncing and I apologize for not being more clear on which one I was referring to.

Go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> iCloud Backup -> Toggle for On/Off.

That is the one that turns off WiFi syncing if it is On. All of the other iCloud backup/sync settings don't affect WiFi Syncing.

No apologies necessary, I appreciate the help!

So if I want to sync with iTunes via WiFi, I cannot have iCloud syncing turned on, therefore, all of my settings, accounts, ect. will backup to my computer versus iCloud.

No apologies necessary, I appreciate the help!

So if I want to sync with iTunes via WiFi, I cannot have iCloud syncing turned on, therefore, all of my settings, accounts, ect. will backup to my computer versus iCloud.

Correct. Apple had to make a really tough call on this one in my opinion. Basically they wrote the backup routine once and tied it to a set of conditions.

The key condition for both is the problem. "Connecting the phone to the charger" is what triggers either backup to start. Since Apple likes to keep it simple they didn't write it to do one back up and then the other. I am willing to bet a lot of people wish they had.

The other condition that makes it slightly problematic is recovering the phone in case of an issue. Remember when you setup a new iPhone under iOS 5, you can sign in with your iCloud account. The moment you do that, it triggers off the recovery process if it sees you had full backup turned on. But what if they gave you both options? And the back up you want is on iTunes because the last iCloud back up is where the data got corrupted? Now they would have to write even more code to deal with that possibility and handing control back to iTunes.

This is where Apple's philosophies of "Keep it simple" and "It just works" clash with users that are far more advanced than the average user that buys their product.

Very interesting and quite a well written explanation.

Thanks for the excellent info, when I get home I will test and see if it works now.

Appreciate you taking the time Skull!!