What's new

Wi-Fi signal strength

Bacchus

Reaction score
My wi-fi router is in a room at one end of my house. My garage, which is also my wintertime cigar-smoking mancave, is at the other end.

I've noticed that at various times I have sufficient signal strength when I'm in the garage and at other times I don't have enough and am forced to use 3G in order to go online with my iPhone.

Does anyone know what might cause this variation?

Usually, when signal strength is too low, I get a pop-up window offering me the opportunity to log on to some other wi-fi network that is evidently somewhere nearby but which I know nothing about. Is it possible that one or more of these wi-fi networks is 'drowning-out' my own wi-fi signal?

Any info or suggestions regarding how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thank you.....

My iPhones have never liked "metal" buildings. Someone once told me that the ribar was the problems but I really don't know. You could try getting a wi-fi booster.

Thanks. I'll look into a booster.

Metal buildings and/or rebar don't apply in my case, though. My house is all wood - except for nails....

Typical WiFi routers have 10 channels that they can broadcast their WiFi signal on. It's possible that you and your neighbor's router are trying to broadcast on the same channel. Then as you get farther Way from your router and closer to your neighbors his could start overpowering your router signal. So go into your router settings and try changing the channel that its using to broadcast its signal on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good info! Thanks very much. I'll definitely look into this. The Cisco router I have has an online manual and I'll check out how to do that this morning.... Thanks again :)