What's new

Wi Fi question

George Lewis

Reaction score
A friend with a "3" said he does not turn on his WiFi because it runs the battery down. He said he can get email without the WiFi being on.

Does leaving WiFi on all the time run down the battery "because it is hunting signals all of the time" as he said? What does the WiFi do anyway....I have a router here at home to use with my laptop...does the "4" use this router too?

What to do...what to do? It was on when I got the "4" a week ago and I left it as is.

Thanks for any info.

If you are using your iPhone 4 to browse the web or do any Internet related actvities (such as downloading files, streaming video, browsing the web, playing games that access the Internet), then using wifi won't drain as much as 3G. However, if you're not then having wifi turn on may drain a little quicker. Personally, I prefer to leave mine turned on as there is barely any noticeable difference in battery drainage with my iPhone 4 anyways.

Yes, having wifi on and "searching" will drain battery but on and connected won't.

Yes, having wifi on and "searching" will drain battery but on an connected won't.

Yep I found this out very quickly. I usually turn the wifi off when I leave the house. I would leave 3G on all the time since I pay for it but some areas of my house the connection isn't too good.

My advice, and easiest way to deal with this is. JB your I phone. Install SBSettings. Add the wifi toggle on deck. Then everytime u leave ur wifi spot just bring sbsetting down right on your home screen, hit the wifi icon and turn it off and on as you come and go. This will defeat the having to go through settings option.

I think your going to use more battery with a jailbroken phone than with the wifi searching... :)

I think your going to use more battery with a jailbroken phone than with the wifi searching... :)

Right and it's real tough to shut it off on a jailed phone. Click settings, hit wifi, off, done. I am sweating now lol.

Also, when connected to WiFi any data you download or upload doesn't go against your data plan. This especially helpful if you have one of the limited plans.

Right and it's real tough to shut it off on a jailed phone. Click settings, hit wifi, off, done. I am sweating now lol.

Well if you have your settings app hidden, so no one can change anything if they happened to get a hold of it; toggles come in handy. But to each there own. I think sbsetting + toggles, is one of my top three reasons i JB all my iDevices.

Well if you have your settings app hidden, so no one can change anything if they happened to get a hold of it; toggles come in handy. But to each there own. I think sbsetting + toggles, is one of my top three reasons i JB all my iDevices.

I agree toggles are cool..... Just not worth it for me.

I agree toggles are cool..... Just not worth it for me.

Me either the phone ran like crap when I jb'd it.

I appreciate all of the help from you folks. As an old guy, I need it...ha ha. I am always amazed that when I ask a question on my "4" or my laptop, I get quick, good answers. Thanks again to all. GHL

Actually wifi does not search for signal unless you are trying to use the web or email.
Same as the bluetooth.
I leave my wifi on all the time and my bluetooth on 24/7 and I get 20 + hours with both on, I tried to turn them off when not using them and I got maybe an hour more battery life.
Not even worth the effort.

Actually wifi does not search for signal unless you are trying to use the web or email.
Same as the bluetooth.
I leave my wifi on all the time and my bluetooth on 24/7 and I get 20 + hours with both on, I tried to turn them off when not using them and I got maybe an hour more battery life.
Not even worth the effort.

When your away from a charger an hour is quite a bit of savings!