What's new

Wi-Fi Calling

bear7962

Reaction score
Maybe I just don't understand Wi-Fi calling and how it is supposed to work but I do not think mine is working correctly. I have AT&T and live in a part of the country that has VOLTE or HD LTE or whatever you want to call it. Anyway, on Monday AT&T activated this feature. I turned in on in the settings of my iPhone 6 Plus it didn't turn on immediately but I had read somewhere that it might take time so went on with my life and forgot about it until someone posted here showing what it looked like. So then I started searching Google trying to figure out why mine did not show as working. If I turn on Airplane Mode and then turn wifi back on it will come on and stay on for a while, even after I turn airplane mode off. It then disappears. If I go into cellular and change the data setting to either off or data only, the wifi calling symbol will again appear and remain even after I re-engage voice and data. But after a while it goes away again. I have reset network settings, turned the phone off, done a hard boot, nothing changes. Is this normal and if not, any idea what is wrong and what I can do? Thanks for any thought you can give to this.

I can find wi-fi assist on my iPhone but not wi-fi calling. Is it only available on the iPhone 6's?

Thanks, J.A. It appears I'll have to call my carrier to find out what's going on. According to the info on that link you posted I should have it available but it doesn't even show up on my iPhone. I'll call AT&T on Monday.... :)

Thanks, J.A. It appears I'll have to call my carrier to find out what's going on. According to the info on that link you posted I should have it available but it doesn't even show up on my iPhone. I'll call AT&T on Monday.... :)
On AT&T it is not available on your phone Bacchus. Only the 6, 6 plus, 6S, and 6 S plus.

Hmmmmm!! According to the info on the link I just visited, iPhones 5c and later with an AT&T carrier are supposed to have it. Isn't a 5s equal to or later than a 5c?

To place a Wi-Fi call, you need an iPhone on one of these carriers:

• Canada: Bell, Rogers
  • Hong Kong: 3, SmarTone
  • United Kingdom: EE, Vodafone
  • United States: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
  • Saudi Arabia: Zain
  • Switzerland: SALT, Swisscom
iPhone 5c and later are capable of Wi-Fi Calling. Check with your carrier on which models are supported.

Is the top line on my phone supposed to show AT&T Wi-fi all the time or not? Does anyone know?

Ah, so. Then it appears that Apple support knows not whereof they speak (as some famous person once said).... :)

Thanks, Bear...

Ah, so. Then it appears that Apple support knows not whereof they speak (as some famous person once said).... :)

Thanks, Bear...
Your welcome. Now if I can only get my issue sorted out.

So I talked to CS at AT&T because I had to set up a new passcode with them. And at least according to the rep I talked to, my wi-fi calling is working as it should and the AT&T wi-fi calling message will only show when I am in range of a wi-fi signal and my cellular signal weakens. I guess I will see.