What's new

iphone 4 on vodafone UK will NOT place calls or receive texts, WILL access internet

cbullard

Reaction score
NOTE: I have searched everywhere for a solution, but all I can find are solutions to intermittent "call failed" issues. This is NOT the same.

BACKGROUND: I recently bought an iphone 4 (on eB**, perhaps that's my problem =/). The phone was listed as "locked to Vodafone". I received the phone, inserted my vodafone microSIM and the phone activated with iTunes. I restored the backup from my 3GS. The phone searched for a network, found "Vodafone UK", and I began receiving emails and using the data connection straightaway... everything seemed to be fine.

PROBLEM: The phone will not make or receive ANY phone calls to ANY number (even 191, the Vodafone helpline). The phone instantly shows the "call failed" dialogue each time I attempt to place a call. This problem is NOT intermittent. Unsurprisingly, the phone will also not send or receive text messages. The data connection, however, works fine. The phone shows a signal from "Vodafone UK", but the signal has no bars, just "_ _ _ _" next to the carrier name.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
--Hard reset - no change
--Reset Network Settings - no change
--Turn off 3G - no change
--Turn off Cellular Data - as soon as I turn Cellular Data off, the phone says "No Signal" and will not reacquire a signal until I turn Cellular Data back on. This happens whether 3G is on or off.
--All of the above with and without WiFi - no change
--Inserted microSIM into old 3GS (with an improvised adapter) - everything worked as normal, that is, nothing is wrong with the SIM card itself.
--Changed various other settings to no avail... toggled "Show Caller ID", "Set Time Automatically", "Location Services" on and off... nothing.

RELEVANT INFO:
--iOS 5.1 (9B176)
--Carrier listed in "Settings->General->About" as "vodafone UK 12.0"
--BB 04.12.01

Please help. I realize this might be a hardware problem, but I find it strange that the data would function if the radio were damaged.

Thanks!

1st contact vodafone to ensure your account is showing up as an iPhone plan and everything is ok on their side.

Where did you get the micro sim from as it may be faulty so it may be worth visiting a vodaphone shop for a replacement and ask them to do the transfer of sim info while you wait.

Next go onto apples website an input the iPhones serial number to check out the warranty status of the unit to see what the warranty is left on the unit, and that its not a replacement. Some people get replacements and then sell the faulty one on.

If the warranty status is ok then make an appointment with an apple genius at your local apple outlet.

If its a hardware issue then they will provide a replacement while your there. If its out of warranty then they do offer a discounted replacement unit at a cost.

Hope you get this resolved.

Thanks for the reply. I contacted vodafone and they check the IMEI number and a few other bits just to make sure everything was fine on their end. I also inserted the SIM into another phone and it worked perfectly. At that point I was pretty convinced it was hardware issue.

Luckily, the serial number checked out online as being under warranty... I went to the Apple store and they replaced it straightaway for free! Unbelievable luck, really... I think I'll steer clear of eB** for a while.

Thanks again.