What's new

why won't Apple let us change the default browser???

I have read, all of the quotes from everyone, and I know everyone has their own opinion.
But in my opinion, I just like the safari as my default the way it is.
If Apple let us modify our devices too much, it would be mad by then, and everyone would go for Androids.
So I think Apple let us modify the perfect settings they need to.
If we all change our default web browsers, everyone would be using Google chrome, Opera, IE and many other browsers. I think they should just keep their browser simple and neat, not buggy and refreshie but simple.

mwhartman.......What "reader"? Which URL?

Thanks.

When you are on a web page that contains content and advertisement look at the top of your screen, specifically where the URL is displayed for the page you are on, you will see a grayed area labeled READER. Simply tap that area and Safari will automatically remove the ads and realign the page.

Hope this is helpful.

Many thanks. I always wondered what that grayed-out area was. For whatever reason mine doesn't actually say READER, but if I tap on the gray area it does exactly what you said it would.

Thanks again.

please read PM sent to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question.....lol
I do also wonder why won't Apple let us change the default browser??? May be S. Jobs could answer this question exactly .

What I think , Apple has 2 reasons for doing this .

-Quality control : To prohibit any 3rd party / Middle Hand to replace with a worst browser which may lower the quality of their devices even if it's in the use of end users.

-Company policy : Apple does not want to share their tech. with other companies . It's totally commercial decision.

Best of luck buddy !!

thanks for the responses! great to have such active communities. :)

the only reason I ask this is not because I don't like Safari or want something different, but because I have a filtered browser for safety reasons and have disabled Safari. (actually one of the main reasons I switched over to iOS is because of the content control)

I love iOS, and don't plan on going back to Android, but this one lacking feature to me is frustrating, and was hoping someone had a more definite answer. I guess small price to pay for the best mobile OS :- D

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

thomasjtsi said:
Just to touch on something first.... Is it just me or are we being flooded with the same general question over & over again?!? "Why won't Apple let us.....?"

A very simple answer to this question is.... Apple strives for extreme quality control of their devices!! Even after they are purchased and in the end users hands. Thus, their iDevices being "locked down." No more no less.... it boils down to keeping their product better, always.

But safari sucks. So the quality control angle would make better sense if Apple would make a good browser. No matter how many times it's asked. Still a valid question. As a side note, they put voice control on my iPhone 4 and it was worthless. So much for quality control. Maybe it's just about control. Just my opinion.

I really don't see why Safari is so bad. As people said, the new features of it in 5.0 are great, it is a very fast and reliable browser.

I also have Dolphin browser on my iphone, which is also very fast and nice, but seriously, there is nothing wrong with safari.

As for why Apple doesn't "let us", there is no answer to that. They have designed a very successful, reliable and easy-to-work-with iOS, and I don't really think it is such a catastrophe to not be able to use another browser as default.

The only thing I'd change about Safari is to let it have tabs like Atomic. I don't like having to go to a separate screen.

Oscar_D_Grouch said:
The only thing I'd change about Safari is to let it have tabs like Atomic. I don't like having to go to a separate screen.

It has tabs in ipad.

Iphone tabs would be too small to handle (get Dolphin browser that has tabs and you ll see).

I use atomic web and the tabs are small but its still easier if you are going to view multiple pages.. and then use browser changer from cydia to change the default browser

I remember a few years ago there was a similar issue which i believe went to court with Microsoft not allowing any other browser on there products. If I remember it was ruled against Microsoft and they had to allow other browsers on this systems. If this is the case surly the same judgement should apply to apple or has something change since this ruling.

Actually Apple does allow other browsers - I have Opera installed on my 4S and use it frequently.

Unleashed said:
I use atomic web and the tabs are small but its still easier if you are going to view multiple pages.. and then use browser changer from cydia to change the default browser

Yeah true. I like the other tweak (cant remember what it was called), where the safari pages look like cards and are all in one page