why won't Apple let us change the default browser???

Discussion in 'iPhone iOS' started by izzyfanto, Dec 5, 2011.

1. izzyfanto

izzyfanto New Member

does anybody know the reason why won't Apple let us change the default browser??? I have searched this forum to no avail, onlly finding references to the Cydia app Browser Changer (I have jailbroken, but had to go back to stock because the jailbreak was unstable). I love my iPhone (coming from Android) but this is so maddening....one of the main things that makes me dislike using my iPhone. anybody have the scoop as to why not? thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thomasjtsi

Thomasjtsi Well-Known Member

Just to touch on something first.... Is it just me or are we being flooded with the same general question over & over again?!? "Why won't Apple let us.....?"

A very simple answer to this question is.... Apple strives for extreme quality control of their devices!! Even after they are purchased and in the end users hands. Thus, their iDevices being "locked down." No more no less.... it boils down to keeping their product better, always.

3. izzyfanto

izzyfanto New Member

Thanks for the reply!

I definitely understand what your answer is, I would just like to know why not changing the default browser would make the iPhone better. I need a filtered browser, and I don't see why Apple refuses to allow such a minute change. And I agree, Apple makes a awesome product :)

4. davedrizen

davedrizen New Member

I remember a few years ago there was a similar issue which i believe went to court with Microsoft not allowing any other browser on there products. If I remember it was ruled against Microsoft and they had to allow other browsers on this systems. If this is the case surly the same judgement should apply to apple or has something change since this ruling.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Administrator Staff Member

Izzy, like you, I've had Android (rooted) and iPhone. On Android, I tried several different browsers and always returned to the stock browser. I've not jail broken my 4 S and, for now, have not intention of doing so.

I really like Apple's products. I have an iMac, MBP, Mac Air, and an iPod. I had a iPad but gave it to my some when his PC was stolen. Every Apple product that I owned is, IMO, top shelf. Many lament the inability of iOS to run Flash. Now, Abobe has pulled Flash from all mobile devices.

That is my way of saying, iOS, like all other OS's, has shortcomings. As users/consumers we can choose to live with the particular shortcomings of each OS or move to a different OS and try to adapt to their playing field. I hope that you are able to adjust to Apple's.

6. iGaz

iGaz New Member

There are plenty of other browsers available on the app store. You just can't change safari as the default...

• Like Like x 2
  7. njshoremom4gurlz

njshoremom4gurlz New Member

The apple browser safari on iPhone integrates w the whole phone perfectly:)

8. dynastyreal

dynastyreal New Member

Apple keeps their products in line. Their reputation is putting out quality. And allowing u to do too much could compromise that. Lol. So. I say. Keep everyone in line. And gain a superior product.

9. androidcatdog

androidcatdog New Member

Better? Android's browser lets you zoom in as much as you need to and reflows the words into one easy to read column. No need to scroll right, left, right JUST TO READ! Stupid iOS!

• Like Like x 2
  10. mwhartman

Have you tried "reader"? It removes all of the advertisements and streamlines articles for you. Just read! Reader is located to the right of the ULR. Hope this is helpful!

11. androidcatdog

androidcatdog New Member

Dear mwhartman, I am humbled and shamed. Thank you, immensely! How did I not know about this? You may have just opened the door to my new home....iOS. Sincerely, all the best to you and Happy Holidays! Cheers to all! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. mwhartman

Glad you are feeling better about your iPhone and iOS.

Mike

13. nikstar

nikstar New Member

At the risk of seeming really dumb, what is the ULR?

14. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

It's a typo. It's meant to be URL (the bar where you type in web addresses).

Not dumb ... just confused! :D

Marilyn

15. mwhartman

Agree, not dumb just sloppy typing on my part! Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the clarification, Marilyn.

Mike