What's new

Why Lightning charging commector?

rajigne

Reaction score
We all know iPhone 5 has all new skinny lightning charging cable. But why?
Answer may be to make ph skinny. If this is the only answer, I throw it as bad Apple cuz
i have to change all iPhone dock accessories

This connector manages to save space and provide virtually all of the features in the 30 pin connector via adaptive cabling technology.

It's time to move on. The old connector is 10 years old.

Let it die.

I agree.

People shouted out for a larger screen and rehash of the materials used on the 4 and 4s and wanted it thinner.

The previous 30 pin was too large to accommodate the thinner design.

Now we have a quicker speed connection and a universal plug that fits in both ways.

Those that ate truly in an apple ecosystem wont mind paying £25 for an adapter.

well, much like the smaller sim cards it has allowed apple to save room for other hardware in the iphone that has allowed them to put more in a thinner phone as well as the charger being much faster and better then the previous one as well as many other reasons

We didn't even need that slim phone.put more battery.

i for one love the slimmer phone and i think the smaller connector was warranted,pretty soon everyone will love it and think no more about it.

The connector is much better and more secure than older connector. You gain a much slimmer lighter phone or iPod touch. And yes an adapter ...if you really need it... No big deal,really. Your other choice is buy a iPhone 4 s ....

I laugh really every one wants lighter notebooks with better battery life so Apple invents the Mac book Air.... Then along comes the other world with "ultra books". Oh but where is my DVD drive.... Oh Only 128gb Storage.....You have to be joking. What only one USB slot.....in this modern world it is called progress. In a few years you will look back and laugh at the technology we have now.... So as another member said it is time to move on...

I was annoyed at first that they changed the connectors but after using the new connector I think it's great. Now when I use the micro-USB stuff on my other accessories THOSE SEEM HORRIBLE! With micro-USB, you have to look real careful to make sure that it is the right direction. And I've read many reviews on Amazon.com where people have ruined their device by either pushing in to hard and dislodging the female power receptacle or when they pull out the cord it dislodges something making it useless.

With Lightning, you never have to worry about putting it in backwards. It slides in easily and actually has some grab once it is in. But it's not so much grab that it's difficult to remove. I gotta hand it to Apple, they took everything that sucked about USB connectors and eliminated it.

I now wish all my devices were like Lightning. It's made USB look like a half-baked solution.

I was never disuaded by the lighting connector .
Evolutionary inevitability really as new tech supercedes old , it wont be long before hand held devices will be completely wire free , and any tied down cable restraints become a thing of the past .

I like the lighting connector for the single thing that i use it for : charging .

When I get to bed its sometimes quite late and the worst thing I had was fumbling around trying to get my old 30 pin connector in the right way on my old iphone 4 , now thats the very thing i no longer worry about , the "anyway round" lighting is far easier and prevents me from leaving micro scratchs near the port from mis inserting.

Im very very particular about preserving the condition of my iphones and the new connector eliminates that worry, also on another note its very easy to disconnect .

rajigne said:
We didn't even need that slim phone.put more battery.

More battery? What more do you want from apple? The iPhone already sports a way better battery than android phones, all my friends complain saying they die to quickly. Most have owned iPhones at one time or another, as for the lightning I said it before ill say it again that technology was ancient changing that 10 year old port will allowed apple to do much more and will only continue in future devices.

Last edited:
More battery? What more do you want from apple? The iPhone already sports a way better battery than android phones, all my friends complain saying they die to quickly. Most have owned iPhones at one time or another, as for the lightning I said it before ill say it again that technology was ancient changing that 10 year old port will allowed apple to do much more and will only continue in future devices.

I'm having a tough time of breaking loose of my Android "7 hours have gone by, gotta recharge thinking."

Went to bed last night and was watching Dodgers and Colorado on my iPad and St. Louis vs DC on my iphone.

Took it off charger around 7:00 am and still had 30% left. I find it amazing.

Sorry, just realized went off topic. It's time for change, get over it already and we have already discussed this to death.

It seems as though the old saying is true, "you can't please everyone", comes to mind. Some people wanted the previous phones to be thinner and/or larger screens and/or whatever else... All these changes mean some sacrifices needed to be made, new designs.