What's new

Why have several of my apps either been downgraded to the free version or disappeared altogether?

jmt356

Reaction score
I bought all several apps some time ago, and a couple either disappeared or were downgraded to the free versions. Why? I went to the iStore to repurchase them with my same Apple ID. Is Apple now going to charge me for them, even though I already paid for them for the same account and to the same iPhone?
What if I upgrade to a new iPhone? Do I now need to repurchase all of my apps?

App developers frequently lower or remove purchase cost for a number of reasons. No reason for you to repurchase. In addition, if it is a currently functioning app and remains so, Apple will not make you repurchase when you transfer your current backup to your next iPhone.

Perhaps I was not clear. I already purchased these Apps. However, one of them is no longer on my iPhone (did I perhaps accidentally delete it?!?) and another has on its own been downgraded to the free version, even though I uploaded to and paid for the paid version.

I had to go into the App Store to repurchase these two apps.

You were clear but perhaps I wasn't. Regardless, you should never have to repurchase an app. I suggest you contact the App Store, requesting a refund.

It should have been possible within the app to restore a purchase. Usually you find this in the app's settings.

Did you try going into your App Store purchase history to see if the missing and downgraded apps were there? You can re-download anything in your purchased list without paying again.

Last edited:
I've known developers to pull an app to start over with another one. They disable the current app already paid for, then offer the new one in the App Store at a price. This happened to me when iOS 7 began.
Some apps are reduced to free for Family Sharing. But they make it up with in app purchases.
If the vanished app is not in your purchased list, then either Apple or the developer removed it. You can, as scifan said, ask for a refund. Just Google, "How to get a refund from iTunes?".

With my Reddit client (amrc I think), every time I redownload it, I have "upgrade it" to the paid version. Once I click upgrade, it says I already bought it and performs the upgrade.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

With my Reddit client (amrc I think), every time I redownload it, I have "upgrade it" to the paid version. Once I click upgrade, it says I already bought it and performs the upgrade.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
That's what happens for me also.

I actually had to re-purchase the Apps. However, the iTunes Store normally sends me receipts following my App purchases. I have not received any receipts following the re-purchase of the two Apps in question. I believe this means I will not be charged.

I actually had to re-purchase the Apps. However, the iTunes Store normally sends me receipts following my App purchases. I have not received any receipts following the re-purchase of the two Apps in question. I believe this means I will not be charged.
Check your credit card statement to confirm whether or not you were charged for those apps.

The day after scifan57 posted his comment, Apple sent me an email with a receipt for the two apps that I had to re-purchase. Now I want to dispute that charge. However, the email that Apple sent me does not include any information as to how to contact Apple. The only link provided is to a general support page (Manage your iTunes Store and App Store password preferences - Apple Support) that discusses how to manage my password and preferences for iTunes, iBooks and App store purchases. How can I get in touch with Apple to dispute the charge?

That's what happens when I read my email late, I repeat what someone else said. Anyway, start there and start now, the clock is ticking.