What's new

Who has the 16GB model?

Alude904

Reaction score
In this topic I want to see who has the 16GB model and how that storage size has affected them. This topic was inspired by another post where I mentioned that my frequent check at Target stores brought me to the realization that only the 16GB 6 plus models are being sold there.(for the most part). I've never heard anyone say they want the 16GB model nor do I see them being bought up at my local Target stores.
With ios8 being the huge size it is on top of your model being the 6 plus (may not be much different from the 6), how much space are you left with? With the camera being amazing on the 6 plus, why did you chose the 16GB? Do you use any of the major cloud services like icloud, Dropbox, or onedrive? I use onedrive a lot (not necessarily for photos) as well as Spotify so I can see that compensating for the low storage.

I have the iPhone 6 16GB, I find it's plenty for me, I'm picky about which apps I install, I use Dropbox for my photos.
At the moment I have a 8.3 GB left to play with, I have a fair bit of music on my phone too.
My previous phone was 32GB and I never came anywhere close to filling it.

In this topic I want to see who has the 16GB model and how that storage size has affected them. This topic was inspired by another post where I mentioned that my frequent check at Target stores brought me to the realization that only the 16GB 6 plus models are being sold there.(for the most part). I've never heard anyone say they want the 16GB model nor do I see them being bought up at my local Target stores.
With ios8 being the huge size it is on top of your model being the 6 plus (may not be much different from the 6), how much space are you left with? With the camera being amazing on the 6 plus, why did you chose the 16GB? Do you use any of the major cloud services like icloud, Dropbox, or onedrive? I use onedrive a lot (not necessarily for photos) as well as Spotify so I can see that compensating for the low storage.
I on the other hand always got the 32 GB before. Have few photos stored on it but some music and videos as well as apps. What previously used 14-16 GB on my IP4 & on my IP5 uses 24-29 plus. Now, that still means I have loads of extra space but if I had gone down to 16 I would have been in trouble. And I figure when I start accessing FB with the phone, which I haven't been doing, I will have less free space.

I on the other hand always got the 32 GB before. Have few photos stored on it but some music and videos as well as apps. What previously used 14-16 GB on my IP4 & on my IP5 uses 24-29 plus. Now, that still means I have loads of extra space but if I had gone down to 16 I would have been in trouble. And I figure when I start accessing FB with the phone, which I haven't been doing, I will have less free space.
Facebook is one thing I never accesss on my phone, I figure having that on two devices is more than enough, When I'm out I don't want to see it.

Facebook is one thing I never accesss on my phone, I figure having that on two devices is more than enough, When I'm out I don't want to see it.
I have always felt that way too but in the last 6 to 8 months, I realize that I almost never turn my laptop on except to transfer pictures or backup the phone. I got the 64 GB because it cost what I had budgeted for the 32 GB I thought I was going to order. So given all the extra space, time I stop worrying about keeping my space usage down. It's like a closet, never had one that didn't look filled a month after I moved in the house!

Im finishing up doing a restore from a 16gb iphone 5c and its filled to capacity. Have been using dropbox to offload photos and don't keep any music, videos. Just mainly apps. Right now there are apps stuck in a waiting state don't know if its space related so i will wait overnight to see if it clears up then start deleting. Myself have lived with the 16gb limitation. Turns out for the waiting apps it was a matter of going to the 'purchased items' folder in the app store and reclicking

Last edited:
I just retuned to the iPhone and have purchased the 6+ in 16gb. I have never used all 16gb before and I don't see me using that much now. I don't store a lot of music and I don't take a ton of pictures. I don't play too many games and I don't store movies and videos on my phone.

I just retuned to the iPhone and have purchased the 6+ in 16gb. I have never used all 16gb before and I don't see me using that much now. I don't store a lot of music and I don't take a ton of pictures. I don't play too many games and I don't store movies and videos on my phone.
Thats similar to myself, I find 16GB is plenty.

Thats similar to myself, I find 16GB is plenty.
Well. As I predicted, the creep upward has begun. Without a change of usage I now have only 37.7 GB free. Telling me that I would be crowding things out if I had moved down to the 16 based on what my IPHONE 5 used. And my closets at home are crowded too.

Well. As I predicted, the creep upward has begun. Without a change of usage I now have only 37.7 GB free. Telling me that I would be crowding things out if I had moved down to the 16 based on what my IPHONE 5 used. And my closets at home are crowded too.
I still have 8.4 GB free at the moment, I doubt i will get even close to filling it.

I had 16 on the 4S. Have 8GB left in the years i had it!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how big the os is on the 6(i can't imagine it's much different) but the available storage on my iPhone 6+ 64GB is 55.6. That means the os and who knows what else takes up 8.4GB. Subtract that from your 16GB iphone and well. You can do the math. Yeah you can store pics on the cloud and stream music but that doesn't leave much room for apps. Especially with some games being in upwards of a gig. However, if you have the philosophy that I do about Internet being fast enough to constantly swap out your handful of favorite games and apps then I can see where 7.6 gigs is enough for some. Still. Don't forget to leave even more room if you want to update ota.

Before I loaded anything onto my iPhone 6 I had 12.1 GB capacity.

Hmm. Guess the iPhone 6 os is pretty different.

Hmm. Guess the iPhone 6 os is pretty different.
I wonder also if it depends where you get your phone from, I buy mine direct from Apple so there is only the OS and the apps Apple put on but years ago I used to buy phones that were tied to a network and they were full of bloatware that the network installed, That bloatware took up quite a bit of space as I remember.
I'm in the UK so it might be different here.