What's new

Which Slim iPhone 5 Case with "Moderate" Protection?

jackibar

Reaction score
Hi, everyone...

I have a dilemma and found this forum and am hoping y'all can help! I've been watching review videos of iphone 5 cases for about 4 days now(!) trying to decide which to get. I'm still having trouble deciding... I have already tried 2 cases, and both have shown me things I DON'T want! I first got the SwitchEasy Tones - LOVED the size, shape, rubbery protection, and how it felt in my hands (which are kinda small). The only problem I had with it was the cutout for the lightning plug was too small for the off-brand extra charging cable I purchased (only the real Apple plug would fit through the cutout) - and I need one that will work with both... Which led me to my first attempt at finding a different case and watching review videos around December...

I ended up going with the Speck FabShell - love the look of the case and it did solve the cutout problem with my cable - but this one is just too "wide" to fit easily in my hand! They made the outer rubber edge wider which is good in a way I guess - but I prefer a slightly narrower width so it fits better in my hand... Which is why I'm searching yet again! I had been thinking of a sheerer or more transparent look so the phone itself would be seen, but that's not 100% a necessity. In fact, I really love some of the cases I've seen that are solid colors. My husband has the Otter Box and says that's the ONLY case I should consider(!) - but I HATE the bulkiness of it - plus, I'm at home *most* of the time (not outdoors like he is) so I just don't need that level of protection... but I do want *some* protection :)

What I'm really looking for and can't seem to find all in one case - is a snap-on case (NOT a 2-piece one) that is minimalistic in both appearance and width/weight - but that DOES have at least a small amount of lip in the front for the lay-on-table protection - that has a "moderate" amount of drop protection (I usually keep my phone in my pocket or purse - it's almost never at risk for falls - only every so often I will knock it off my nightstand or other table to a ceramic tile floor - so a few feet at worst)... Also need to make sure the cutout is big enough for the other brand of cables to plug into without having to remove the case.

The ones I've seen that I really love the look of are the Barely There, the Ultra Thin Air, the Feather, the Slight, the Pinlo and the Zero 5... it seems some of these do not have the lay-on-table feature, though. I *think* I'd prefer one that has the border all the way around the phone - most of these seem to leave the top and bottom totally open, and I think I'd prefer at least a small measure of protection there. (Or do those with the open top/bottom protect okay for the small distance drops I tend to have?) But one that has a SLIM border so it's not so wide in my hand. Hope this makes sense?!!

If y'all could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm going nuts watching so many videos and reading reviews and still not sure what to get! I don't want to waste another $25 since I've already bought 2 cases, so I thought I'd ask for some guidance this time!

Thanks so very much for any help or suggestions!!

I'm using a Speck Candy Shell right now and love it. Easy on and pretty easy off as well the candy shell is much slimmer for the 5 then the 4s was.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iPF.net

Last edited:
I have belkin view case a few other random belkin cases. All of my belkin cases are slim to where they don't add much weight or size to the phone. Also I have dropped my phone a few times and they all have kept my phone in perfect condition. I also have a luvvitt clear case which is slim and doesn't really protect the phone to much. The reason why I bought this one was so you can see the phone. Tomorrow I will be buying a stashback case which I look at today and that one will be able to protect my phone pretty well and also serve as a wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using the paid version of Tapatalk

I know you are wanting a one piece case... but I also have a Trident Aegis Case ... it's way slim and even though it's two pieces you would never know it to hold it in your hand... the two pieces fit right together in what you would think to be one case... I highly recommend it as well... :)

Thanks so much for the responses, everyone! I really appreciate it...

This has become a "mission"(!) - lol... I ended up staying up till almost 3:30 a.m. looking at phone cases. GOT to make a decision here soon!

General question for y'all... Would the hard shell cases protect from drops to a hard surface like ceramic tile (which our whole house is floored with) - ? Or would the TPU be better for shock absorption, etc. It seems that a hard case might crack if dropped to ceramic tile, but I've never had one so I don't really know...

For am78... Do you happen to have the dimension (esp. the width) of the Speck Candy Shell (like do you still have the packaging where you could look)? I've found that the one that fit well in my hand (the Switcheasy Tones) was 2.4 in. and that the one that is too big (the Speck Fab Shell) is 2.9 - ! So that little bit really made a difference for me, and I'm wondering if all the Speck cases are the same width... I really love the Switcheasy NUDE phone - it's only 2.3 inches! But it's a "hard shell" polycarbonate case, and I'm just not sure about that yet... Oh, and the reason I"m wanting to avoid the 2-piece ones (glider - ?) is I had one for my iphone 4 and it was forever coming apart into 2 pieces when I didn't want it to! That was kinda scary !!

For Gregsaidthat... I was looking at the Belkin View and also the Belkin Candy Shell Grip - that was is up there at the top of my choices right now...! Do you have that one? Like it? The View was my original first choice because I wanted to show the phone off, but reviews seem to complain about the clear part scratching too much - has that been your experience?

I also really love the *look* of the CaseCrown snap-on case, but again it's a hard shell. So I need to find out whether a hard shell case is an option for me with this ceramic tile floor or not...! Opinions, please?!!

Thanks again!!

With the belkin view the clear piece scratched a little bit but never did any harm to the phone. I have dropped my phone from about three feet to the concrete and the phone came out unharmed.

The belkin candy shell case is kind of slippery in the hand because of the material it was made of but I liked the way it held the phone. The phone was held in secure and have great protection. I dropped the phone once in that case too and the phone again came up unharmed. Every time my phone is in a belkin case I drop it. Lol.

Very pleased with both. Just a FYI the belkin view scratches on the case were not noticeable to the average person. I currently have the black phone so I believe that helped mask them.

Sent from my iPhone using the paid version of Tapatalk

I don't have my package anymore put I'm still trying to find the correct measurements for you

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iPF.net

Tech 21 impact mesh clear

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I come from a family of IPhone users, Im a very active person, I like to have a phone case that can with stand my lifestyle. I tried the "Otter" cases, horrible. I went to best buy, and asked a couple of my friends, they all said "LifeProof". Given it is a two piece case, it snaps into a one piece case that surrounds your whole iPhone. It's water proof, shock resistant, has a built in screen protector. It's lasted me through a iPhone 4S and now I'm using the newer version for the iPhone 5. It's slime, light, and just in my opinion perfect. I use my iPhone 4S for personal use (stuff like this) and I use my iPhone 5 for my job in the military and both cases are still perfect. I would look into it.

spigen ultra thin air case would be a great option

I LOVE the look of this one!! Just heard that it does not have "lay on the table" protection - ? Is this true? But this one actually was my first choice just based on appearance and thinness...

I LOVE the look of this one!! Just heard that it does not have "lay on the table" protection - ? Is this true? But this one actually was my first choice just based on appearance and thinness...

correct. but thats how it is with most thin case. it will protect the back and sides fine. i amc urrently using an xtreme mac case and i love it. only problem is because the sides are rubber, it gets dirty really easily. stains galore.

I love my Lunatik Extreme. Check out the forum for this product. Trust me, the price is worth it! Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iP3 64gb Blk using iPF.net i5/64gb Blk :)

I love my speck candy shell. It withstands children and is much thinner on the 5 than the 4s from my personal experience!

<3 Tapatalk <3

I have the Incipio Frequency and the Switcheasy Tones cases. I really love both!